Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
If you have the whole page i can try to verify with other words. The only thing i can suppose is "Mezza" with the meaning of "Metà " (Half), but i'm not sure.
I probably should have added more info when I first posted. This is a page from a 1750 stato dell'anime. The line reads:
"Angela Lisabetta Maria Troisi, sua nezza, e figlia di Filippo e q. Petronilla di Garofano..... yada yada .... age 11."
The woman on the (cut-off) line above her was her grandmother, aged sixty, and according to the formula of the other households, "sua nezza" describes her relationship to the head of the house (in this case her grandmother.)
In the previous censuses "nipote" was used for niece/nephew/grandchild, so this "nezza" thing is a new twist.
I've scoured the Latin books and can't find anything remotely similar and I know it's not dialect. It's bugging me that I can't find a definition.....
I, for example, didn't do it, but i just did think it wasn't the correct transcription of the word because i never heard of it ... so, i insist, "ottimo, Livio".
Very few works have been published in English on the topics of Italian heraldry, nobility and onomatology as these relate to genealogy. Yet all three fields depend upon genealogical research. This concise presentation is not intended as a historical treatise, but rather as a simple guide for those i...