Certificate of Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lynx4

Certificate of Naturalization

Post by lynx4 »

My uncle has my maternal grandparents original Certificates of Naturalization. He's made copies for me but absolutely REFUSES to let the orginals out of his possession (even for a day). I've contacted USCIS about getting copies, but they've informed me that the copies they can provide for me are not certified copies. Would I be able to use the photocopies I already have for verification provided I got an apostille from the originating state?

On another note, my father was born in Italy and we have no record of his naturalization other than his passport. My mother swears he was a citizen when she married him in 1947, but my uncle and his cousin swear that they all got naturalized together and that my father refused to renounce his Italian citizenship, but they both did. Was it possible that my father was able to become an American citizen without renouncing his Italian citizenship? Now providing that my father had renounced his citizenship, would that make my brothers and I inelligible for Italian citizenship?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Certificate of Naturalization

Post by mler »

Generally, if you bring the original certificate of naturalization to the consulate and a copy, they will return the original to you.

But based on your post, your father became a U.S. citizen before you were born. Even if he insisted that he never renounced Italian citizenship, the fact that he naturalized in another country before 1992 is considered by Italy to be renunciation. You would, therefore, be unable to use your father's line for citizenship purposes.
lynx4

Post by lynx4 »

Thanks Mler. That's what I thought about my father, which is why I am pursuing through my mother's line.

My uncle is adamant that he will not let my grandparent's original certificates out of his possession. I even offered to fly him and the certficiates from Orgeon on the day of my appointment and he could show them to the consulate but he refused even that.

So now my dilemma is what to do next. I think I have to write to the department of homeland security requesting a copy, but when I emailed USCIS they pointed me towards an archive search. I have the certificate numbers so pulling up a copy of the records will be no problem, but since I was told they wouldn't be certified copies I'm not sure if it's worth the $35 fee. I would much prefer getting a certifed copy of the certificate.

Does anybody know where I can go to get that?

Very Sincerely,

Rena
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

I would go ahead and get the uncertified copy from USCIS. Now that USCIS is only producing uncertified copies, the consulates are accepting them.
Benito512

Post by Benito512 »

In the County of Cook in Illinois I was also told that the the naturalization records cannot be certified. (See the last sentence of the seventh paragraph: Cook County)

Therefore, I only have copies to present for my June 2009 appointment in Chicago. I was told by the County of Cook that those copies will suffice since the naturalization number is listed on them.

I am sorry to hear that your uncle will not entrust the records to you. Perhaps he will have a change of mind before your appointment just to allay your concerns.

Buona fortuna, :D

Benito