Dual Citizen Ship......

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Dual Citizen Ship......

Post by Romano1970 »

I filled out a questionair online regarding dual citizenship. Could someone make this a little easier for me to grasp.
The one I have bolded is the one that is stumping me. He came accross on ship. Not sure if he had a passport. They then ask for historical citizenship. If he became a citizen , I would not be able to claim dual citizenship for myself... I am a little confused to say the least.

RECOGNITION
This Questionnaire indicates that in uninterrupted line of descent, you have been conveyed Italian citizenship from your ancestors. To have it recognized Contact the Consular Office with authority over your place of residence and submit the following documentation:

As an example, below are listed the documents that would be required if it was your grandfather that was born in Italy:

Birth Certificate of your Italian ancestor born in Italy (e.g., grandfather)

Copy of old Italian passport or historical certificate of citizenship (e.g., grandfather);

U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or declaration from the Department of Homeland Security that no naturalization has taken place (e.g., grandfather);

Certificate of Birth, Marriage, and Death of your Italian ancestor (e.g., grandfather);

Certificate of Birth, Marriage, and Death (if applicable) of your father;
Affidavit that your father did not renounce his Italian citizenship;

Certificate(s) of Birth, Marriage, and Death of your minor child(ren)
Affidavit that you have not renounced Italian citizenship.
(NB: all U.S. documents must be long form and bear an apostille).
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dual Citizen Ship......

Post by jwazevedo »

Hi Michael. The instructions from the Vancouver Consulate were helpful to me in this regard. They say to ask for the Italian passport or "Certificato trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italiana" and advised that this was available from the Italian City Hall of last residence in Italy. Not knowing anything else, I used those exact words in my request to my grandfather's comune, and they sent back a certificate that said my grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time he emigrated. That satisfied the consulate. Perhaps you can make the same request to your ancestor's comune.

Good luck,
Jerry
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Hello jwazevedo. Thank you for the information. I have one concern. As the story goes for my grandfather, he was in the Italian infantry, once he left the infantry they had called him to come back. He decided that he was not going to go back and so he came to America. Would this be considered fleeing re conscription into the infantry??

With that said, do you think they would halt any claim I have for duality due to this?
Michael Romano

Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Also who in Piazza Armerina should I be writing to, to find out about my Grandfathers Italian citizenship, and his millitary history??
Michael Romano

Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Comune di Piazza Armerina
Ufficio di Stato Civile
94015 Piazza Armerina (EN)
Italia

For his birth certificate.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Thank you for the info Tamberino. However I have that document already. I think I may have worded it wrong. Would I need anything else besides that.
Michael Romano

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

You would write to the same place for the "certificato" I mentioned. If they send it to you, you're set. Others in the forum may have other information for you on the military service question, but I'd take the pragmatic approach and just write to see if you can get what you need.

Jerry