Hi everyone,
This is my first post, so, HI everyone! I am fairly new to online geneaology research, and am hoping you experts can educate me about travel documents.
I recently noticed that some passenger manifests have a column for "Travel Document" that contains a number. I'm wondering if that number stays with the person throughout their life and can be used for identification.
For example, let say that there is a person on Manifest A with travel #123456. Now lets say that on Manifest B, I see the same name and the travel document number is #123456, is that proof that the person on Manifest B is the same one as on Manifest A?
And the flip side of that - if the number on Manifest B does NOT match the number on Manifest A, can I then assume that the person on Manifest B is definitely not the same person as on Manifest A?
Thanks so much,
Jenn
Travel Documents
Re: Travel Documents
HI Jenn
Here is a site that will explain manifest markings:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/
If you have a specific manifest it will be easier to help you if you post the manifest or a link to it.
Welcome to the forum.
Debbie
Here is a site that will explain manifest markings:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/
If you have a specific manifest it will be easier to help you if you post the manifest or a link to it.
Welcome to the forum.
Debbie
Re: Travel Documents
Thanks for the warm welcome Debbie.
This is the manifest I am wondering about. There is so little information but the Travel Document numbers couldn't be clearer. I am interested in the three men with the last name Ippoliti - it's possible they are my great-grandfather and his brother(s?). I am hoping I can use these numbers to verify if they are the Ippolitis I think they are.
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=V ... 3034922340
Thanks,
Jenn
This is the manifest I am wondering about. There is so little information but the Travel Document numbers couldn't be clearer. I am interested in the three men with the last name Ippoliti - it's possible they are my great-grandfather and his brother(s?). I am hoping I can use these numbers to verify if they are the Ippolitis I think they are.
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=V ... 3034922340
Thanks,
Jenn
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Travel Documents
Newyorker, in order to view your manifest one needs to subscribe to Ancestry...
Re: Travel Documents
Here is the document. Thanks for the heads up Livio!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Travel Documents
According to this document,
[quote]
INS Form I-415, Manifest of In-Bound Passengers (Aliens), includes the name of the ship, the port and date of embarkation, the port and date of arrival, and the following information about each alien: name, travel document number, citizenship (“nationalityâ€
[quote]
INS Form I-415, Manifest of In-Bound Passengers (Aliens), includes the name of the ship, the port and date of embarkation, the port and date of arrival, and the following information about each alien: name, travel document number, citizenship (“nationalityâ€
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Travel Documents
At his point I would say that the answer to your original question is: Yes, he is the same personnewyorker wrote: For example, let say that there is a person on Manifest A with travel #123456. Now lets say that on Manifest B, I see the same name and the travel document number is #123456, is that proof that the person on Manifest B is the same one as on Manifest A?

