This is the mother's occupation shown on her baby's birth record. I have tried to find this word, but not successful.
Thanks for help.
Donna
Female Occupation
- donnawright
- Elite

- Posts: 252
- Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 21:00
Female Occupation
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
Re: Female Occupation
Could you scan a bigger section of the document? I don't believe this is an occupation of a female, as the Italian word appears to end in an o which would be masculine. The only occupation that comes to mind is the word macellaio which means butcher.
- donnawright
- Elite

- Posts: 252
- Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 21:00
Re: Female Occupation
Sure, here is the whole paragraph. The father of this baby is the deceased Giuseppe Servidone. You can see that the last two letters are RO based on the R in CataRina CuRcio. I see your point about the O ending indicating male.
Thanks. Try again!
Donna
Thanks. Try again!
Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
Re: Female Occupation
I have seen many Italian records in which, even though an individual is deceased, his/her age and profession still appear in the record. There is an age given for Giuseppe, even though he is deceased, as you have stated, and I can see by looking at the record. I still believe that the occupation given was his when he was alive and that it was the occupation of butcher which I indicated in my previous entry. It is definitely not the occupation of the baby's mother. Her occupation is not in this record. What I can't decipher is the word which appears before the words "nel giorno trenta"-the 30th being the day of the birth.
- donnawright
- Elite

- Posts: 252
- Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 21:00
Re: Female Occupation
It looks like IVI to me.... if you look at the VI in Servidone a few lines later' the other word is hyphenated and ends in TO on the next line.
As for the occupation, I key'd a few trys into the Google translator and both Macellaio and Macellaro both say "butcher". So I think you are right. One mystery solved.
Thanks for your interest.
Donna
As for the occupation, I key'd a few trys into the Google translator and both Macellaio and Macellaro both say "butcher". So I think you are right. One mystery solved.
Thanks for your interest.
Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Female Occupation
... macellaio domiciliato ivi, nato nel giorno trenta ...maestra36 wrote:...What I can't decipher is the word which appears before the words "nel giorno trenta"-...
... butcher domiciled there, born on day 30...
- donnawright
- Elite

- Posts: 252
- Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 21:00
Re: Female Occupation
Thank you for helping me extract this data. Hopefully more experience will yield fewer questions.
Donna
Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria