Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
The handwriting is difficult to read but I am hoping someone can decipher and translate. This letter was written by my great great grandmother in Caltabellotta Sicily to my great grandmother in New York City. I would very much like someone to translate as I am incorporating material into family history. If you click through to ImageShack you can ENLARGE the image which should make it much easier to read. THANK YOU
The following is far from a perfect translation of the letter, but I hope it will give you the gist of what the letter is saying-
The letter was dated in Caltabellotta on Jan 7, 1925
Dearest daughter-
I am responding to your dear letter-the one in which you gave me very good news about your good health, husband, and children. On average, I am well, thanks to God. With 100 lire, I bought myself two (tumoli??-it's a form of measure) of wheat and with this I stingily have the poor life. I confess to you that I was wrong, as you wrote in your letter, to return to Caltabellotta. I ask your forgiveness about it. However, if I am mistaken, children do not have to owe you their duty. You have abandoned a poor old mother who finds the miserable life hard, having been stripped of everything, and without anyone's help God knows it, as I have passed the holidays without seeing anyone in person. My eyes have done nothing else but cry over my bad misfortune. However, I tell you that I cannot lament. I lament your sister Maria and your brother Ignazio. You know, however, that the one who does well to the their own mother will have rewards from God in terms of good health and providence. I put myself in your hands and no longer make myself lament in these last days that remain of my life. I desire to know if you have collected the sum that was returned again in America. You receive good health from your brother and he says that he wishes to know why you do not write to him. I give you, your husband, and children warm and loving greetings and give you the holy blessing.
Your most loving mother-
Pellegrina Modica
November 2nd is All Souls' Day,a Catholic feast dedicated to the memorial of the dead which, according to tradition, can be dated back to ancient times. This day, in almost every country, the dead are remembered with different rituals and customs, yet the aim is just one: give some consolation to th...