Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I believe the date of the baptism is Sept 1, 1861.
I, royal rector*, Don Bartolomeo Francesco Cappino, priest, baptized a young girl born today in the country on Contrada di Misircuomone(?) The parents were Agostino Serio and Carmela Collura, married, of Monte. The child was named Rosaria. The godmother was Antonina Serio, the wife of Giuseppe Sanfilippo. She was the daughter of deceased Francesco Serio of Cavini(?).
*rector was a member of the clergy in charge of a parish
La settimana del Reverendissimo Canonico e Parroco D. Gaetano Marano col Reverendo
Regio Xxxx D. Bartolomeo Tranpina(?) cappellano sacramentale a [dì] primo settembre 1861 (strana formula: probabilmente si trattava di una sorta di convento in cui la funzione di "responsabile" si alternava settimanalmente tra i vari religiosi del convento stesso)
a di 2 detto [ 2 settembre 1861]
Io Regio Xxx D. Bartolomeo Tranpina(?) cappellano
sacramentale ho battezzato una fanciulla nata oggi
in campagna, contrada di Misircamone(???),
territorio di Monte, da Agostino Serio e Car-
mela Collura jugali [=coniugi] di Monte. Le fu
posto nome Rosaria. La padrina [=madrina] fu Antonina
Serio moglie di Giuseppe Sanfilippo
figlia del fu Francesco Serio di Carini.
No problem, Luca. I see the word cappellano now that you typed it, so the surname I have for the priest is definitely wrong. However, for the date, I thought I saw a 1 followed by a small circle in the air which means the 1st, but I see you say the date is the 2nd. I just don't see that in the script.
I am not sure that refers to the date of the baptism. Then what is the date of the 1st that you yourself typed as primo di settembre? I didn't take the 2 detto to be the date of the baptism. I thought the 2 might be a record number.
Lucap wrote:(strana formula: probabilmente si trattava di una sorta di convento in cui la funzione di "responsabile" si alternava settimanalmente tra i vari religiosi del convento stesso)
the first part of the document is unusual; it seems to be a sort of "handover" (passaggio di consegne) between the priests of that church (I think the church and the parish were under a monastery and there was a weekly "handover" between the various priests: that time the handover took place the first of september. Then, on day 2, Don Bartolomeo baptized tha baby and filled up the record. This is only a guess: if I could see the whole page, or more than a page, I should be more accurate).
L.
Italians have a long and deep-rooted tradition of beliefs about luck and things that give either good or bad luck. In Italy there are colloquial names for bad luck. Think of:"sfiga" or "jella" (read it as "yella), but the most scary thing for millions of Italians is "Il Malocchio", which translate ...