Just one little word...
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Just one little word...
Any thoughts on what this word is?

Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Just one little word...
Hi Carmine 
Couldn't take a guess with context...
Any clues to the kind of document or surrounding words?
T.
Couldn't take a guess with context...
Any clues to the kind of document or surrounding words?
T.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Just one little word...
Okay, you caught me. I just thought I would revisit an earlier question in a different context and see what might happen.Tessa78 wrote:Hi Carmine
Couldn't take a guess with context...
Any clues to the kind of document or surrounding words?
T.
Take a look at the first message in this thread http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =leva.html
In column 14:
Riformato = Unfit for military service
per (?) gola grosso = enlarged thyroid possibly?
(Art. 66 elenco) = list of exclusions in Article 66 of the applicable law
17-4-916 = April 17, 1916
Mystery word
Note the date April 17, 1916 is 9 years in the future (the registry entry is April 22, 1907) and some 7 years after my grandfather left for the US.
Perhaps the date and word mean that he has been excused from service until that date?
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Just one little word...
My guess 
It looks like "recensente" which is the present participle of the verb "recensire" - to review...
T.
It looks like "recensente" which is the present participle of the verb "recensire" - to review...
T.
Re: Just one little word...
It could be as Tessa said "reviewed". In 1916, weren't they still looking for men for WW1? Both my GFs were recalled although they had already served several years before in the war vs. Libya.
Re: Just one little word...
Carmine...
Did you find out anything more about the mystery word?
T.
Did you find out anything more about the mystery word?
T.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Just one little word...
I think your guess taken together with Sirena's comment is probably on the mark.Tessa78 wrote:Carmine...
Did you find out anything more about the mystery word?
T.
Interestingly, if you look at the full document image (in the other thread I linked earlier), you can make out a great big "R" which has then been thouroughly crossed out.
Perhaps the "R" was a flag that the record was to be reviewed at some later date and the 4/17/1916 notation (and the crossing out) indicates that the review was performed?
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Just one little word...
I believe the word is "renitente"
essere renitente alla leva (Mil) ? to fail to report for military service
Laura
essere renitente alla leva (Mil) ? to fail to report for military service
Laura
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Just one little word...
Where did I go amiss??? I thought you were discussing the initiating inquiry Beccasecco? =Peter=
~Peter~
