This is cut from a 1918 Draft Registration Card. Giovanni must have moved soon after as he is not at that address for the 1920 census.
Suranme help
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Suranme help
Any thoughts on Giovanni's surname?

This is cut from a 1918 Draft Registration Card. Giovanni must have moved soon after as he is not at that address for the 1920 census.
This is cut from a 1918 Draft Registration Card. Giovanni must have moved soon after as he is not at that address for the 1920 census.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Suranme help
Maybe Materiale. I realize the second a doesn't look exactly by the first, but this is what it looks like to me.
Re: Suranme help
Hi Carmine 
1920 Census for 516 Adams St., Hoboken, NJ has him listed as "John Matrealio(e)" LAST LINE
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7500 ... io1920.jpg
T.
Hi Peg
1920 Census for 516 Adams St., Hoboken, NJ has him listed as "John Matrealio(e)" LAST LINE
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7500 ... io1920.jpg
T.
Hi Peg
Re: Suranme help
No such surname in the current Italian white pages with either spelling, T. It would also help to know if he was born in the U.S. or in Italy and, if the latter, where. The town or region might help us better identify the surname.
Re: Suranme help
Hi T
You know how info on census records goes. Misspellings and errors all over the place.
Peg
You know how info on census records goes. Misspellings and errors all over the place.
Peg
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Suranme help
Peg,Tessa78 wrote:Hi Carmine
1920 Census for 516 Adams St., Hoboken, NJ has him listed as "John Matrealio(e)" LAST LINE
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7500 ... io1920.jpg
T.
Hi Peg
My first thought was, How did I miss that??
But, actually, your link is for the 1910 census.
I have been trying forever to learn the name of my paternal grandfather's sister (presumed to exist based on another story). I going through some stuff before when I noticed for the first time that grandfather's WWI draft card listed his "brother in law" as the nearest relative (my grandmother was still in Italy at the time).
So, if Giovanni Materiale/Matrealio is the brother-in-law, then his wife Maria (next page of the 1910 census) must have been my grandfather's sister.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Suranme help
Hi Carmine 
Sorry about listing the census as 1920 instead of 1910...
But glad you were about to get something from it...
When I looked at your posting I realized that it was a WWI card, and that the name was probably written by a non-Italian speaking person...i.e. phonetically...
So I thought we could look at other ways it might have been spelled, like in the census...
Good luck.
T.
Sorry about listing the census as 1920 instead of 1910...
But glad you were about to get something from it...
When I looked at your posting I realized that it was a WWI card, and that the name was probably written by a non-Italian speaking person...i.e. phonetically...
So I thought we could look at other ways it might have been spelled, like in the census...
Good luck.
T.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Suranme help
Actually, there are 28 Materiale's listed including 3 in Roccasecca, my paternal ancestral comune. http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... roccaseccamaestra36 wrote:No such surname in the current Italian white pages with either spelling, T. It would also help to know if he was born in the U.S. or in Italy and, if the latter, where. The town or region might help us better identify the surname.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Suranme help
Materiale is in the phonebook, Carmine. I was referring to the two surnames given by T based on the census record as not being in the phonebook
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Suranme help
Yes, I realized that right after I posted.maestra36 wrote:Materiale is in the phonebook, Carmine. I was referring to the two surnames given by T based on the census record as not being in the phonebook
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Suranme help
Materiali is also a surname