I was looking for Donato Cirone when I found in Ellis Island an entry for Donantonio Cirone. Then in familysearch.org I found a Giuseppantonio Cirone. What is the meaning of the name that has a suffix of antonio? Is this a common naming tradition?
Mary
first name with the suffix of antonio
- DebiHarbuck
- Elite

- Posts: 353
- Joined: 11 Aug 2010, 23:52
Re: first name with the suffix of antonio
My GGGF's name was Giuseppantonio and he had several grandchildren named Giuseppe and Giuseppa / Giuseppina. I've always assumed it was a first name/middle name (Joseph Anthony) elided because these names end/start with a vowel.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: first name with the suffix of antonio
Giuseppantonio is considered to be different from Giuseppe Antonio.
- DebiHarbuck
- Elite

- Posts: 353
- Joined: 11 Aug 2010, 23:52
Re: first name with the suffix of antonio
Thanks, Livio! That's good to know. 
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
