Hi good morning;
What I have here is the enlistment or registration for Military service on Francesco De Cicco of Spezzano Piccolo Cosenza. His father shown as Domenico, and mother Michelina Grande
I thought this may have been my Great Grandfather however I am puzzled by the dates. I understood *my* Francesco was born in 1857 however this registration is dated 1857.
My question is, how old was this person when they were registered? Is there anything on this form that one can tell the age of the registrant?
Thank you all, sorry for any potential eye strain this one is very tough to read
Carla
difficult image of Military enlistment translation
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
Hi Carla 
This image is too small to read and blurs when enlarged...
Could you post it using www.imageshack.com so that it can be enlarged without distortion?
After uploading the image, copy and paste the "Direct Link" code into this post...
T.
This image is too small to read and blurs when enlarged...
Could you post it using www.imageshack.com so that it can be enlarged without distortion?
After uploading the image, copy and paste the "Direct Link" code into this post...
T.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
The birth date is in the 5th column and seems 8 March 1857 or 1847. If you post the picture, on it's original size, to Imagesack (as T. suggested) it will be easier to answer.
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
Hi thanks for trying; it's as clean as I'm going to get it. I've tried many enhancements. I think it might be best to order an original copy. The one that was put up on the Cosenza records site is just too small to begin with.
Carla
Carla
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
carla370 wrote:...
I thought this may have been my Great Grandfather however I am puzzled by the dates. I understood *my* Francesco was born in 1857 however this registration is dated 1857.
....
I don't understand your question. The person in this image was born on nato 08 March 1857 in SPEZZANO PICCOLO to Domenico De Cicco and Michelina Grande, so why he cannot be *your* Francesco born in 1857?
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
Livio, I presumed, wrongly of course, that registration took place at the age of majority not shortly after birth.
Carla
Carla
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
How do you know that the registration took place shortly after birth? I cannot see any registration date in the document you posted.
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
Livio, I stated that the date of the registration was 1857. I believe I cropped it off before posting.
Thank you for your reply
Carla
Thank you for your reply
Carla
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: difficult image of Military enlistment translation
According to the Archivio di Stato di Cosenza, Francesco de Cicco, son of Domenico and Michelina Grande appears in the Liste di Leva classe 1857 and classe 1858 (Lista di Leva classe 19xx = list of the people born in year 19xx that are being called to the army)
1 -
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1857. Registro numero 49,
atto numero - di pagina 345 sezione -
Francesco De Cicco, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il --/--/---- a SPEZZANO PICCOLO
da Domenico De Cicco e da Michelina Grande
2 -
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1858.Registro numero 50,
atto numero - di pagina 363 sezione -
Francesco De Cicco, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 08/03/1857 a SPEZZANO PICCOLO
da Domenico De Cicco e da Michelina Grande
In column 15 of the Lista di Leva classe 1857 (Decisions) I read - and I might be wrong - "Alla ventura leva per quantità " = "To the next call because of quantity".
He was therefore recorded in the following Lista di Leva, classe 1858.
In column 15 of the Lista di Leva classe 1858 (Decisions) I read - and I might be wrong - "Riformato per quantità " = "Rejected because of quantity".
1 -
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1857. Registro numero 49,
atto numero - di pagina 345 sezione -
Francesco De Cicco, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il --/--/---- a SPEZZANO PICCOLO
da Domenico De Cicco e da Michelina Grande
2 -
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1858.Registro numero 50,
atto numero - di pagina 363 sezione -
Francesco De Cicco, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 08/03/1857 a SPEZZANO PICCOLO
da Domenico De Cicco e da Michelina Grande
In column 15 of the Lista di Leva classe 1857 (Decisions) I read - and I might be wrong - "Alla ventura leva per quantità " = "To the next call because of quantity".
He was therefore recorded in the following Lista di Leva, classe 1858.
In column 15 of the Lista di Leva classe 1858 (Decisions) I read - and I might be wrong - "Riformato per quantità " = "Rejected because of quantity".
