OCR

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
krombie19
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 17:59

OCR

Post by krombie19 »

I am doing research for my wife's genealogy and am interested in some OCR or ICR software. Does anyone know of a good program for Italian handwriting? Most of the handwriting is pre-1900.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: OCR

Post by johnnyonthespot »

.

Don't even think about it. :shock:

Modern, computer-generated or typeset text, sure - there are some pretty good tools out there.

But, handwritten script? Old handwritten script? I would be shocked if you ever found an app that could handle that with better than 10% accuracy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: OCR

Post by adelfio »

Reading for italian records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
http://genealogy.about.com/od/basics/a/ ... riting.htm
http://script.byu.edu/
I use ifranview for looking at records its freeware and works great(Livio turn me on to it) available at irfanview.com

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Post Reply