I have my GGF's military record but can't make out parts of his personal description. Since we have no pictures of him, I want to know what it says!
Colorito - bruno -- Does this simply mean dark in general? (His son, my GF was fair.)
Capelli -- Castagui -- "Castagna" in my dictionary means "chestnut" -- so, dark brown?
Capelli -- forma -- looks like "Onvati" -- I can't find this! Any thoughts?
Karen
Personal description
- KarenChristino
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Personal description
Can you post the document?
Capelli, forma: refers to the style or type of hair. You would expect to find the Italian equivalent of terms such as curly, straight, wavy, bald, and so on. You can look up suspect words at a site like http://www.wordreference.com/enit/
Colorito means complexion; bruno would be a typical dark skinned southern Italian.
As you guessed, the hair color is chestnut brown.
Capelli, forma: refers to the style or type of hair. You would expect to find the Italian equivalent of terms such as curly, straight, wavy, bald, and so on. You can look up suspect words at a site like http://www.wordreference.com/enit/
Colorito means complexion; bruno would be a typical dark skinned southern Italian.
As you guessed, the hair color is chestnut brown.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- KarenChristino
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Personal description
Thank you Carmine! I am not so swift with the technology, unfortunately. The handwriting is rather clear, though, and the word I'm still searching for (and cannot find online) is "Onvati" regarding the hair type. Doesn't appear to be curly, straight or bald!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Personal description
Possibly ondulati? Means wavy hair.
Some terms in these documents use common (at the time and place the record was created) abbreviations. Perhaps you are seeing an abbreviated version of ondulati.
Some terms in these documents use common (at the time and place the record was created) abbreviations. Perhaps you are seeing an abbreviated version of ondulati.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- KarenChristino
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Personal description
Si -- I never thought to check "wavy" -- that's it! Thanks Carmine.
- TriciaFierro
- Elite

- Posts: 279
- Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 01:29
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US
Re: Personal description
hi Karen! I will reply to your email later tonight or tomorrow but while I was grabbing records today at the FHC I did print off some Cristino records. I'll email you the names and if you would like them I will email to you. Hopefully you will be able to read them because the machine at my FHC is very old and I read most of the documents with a magnifying glass even after altering the lightness and darknes on the printer
Talk with you soon!
Talk with you soon!
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti