Confused about naturalization records
Confused about naturalization records
I'm so lost in regards to requesting my GGF's naturalization papers. My aunt had a copy of them, so I have his petition number and his declaration of intent number. He naturalized in 1928 in Brooklyn, NY. I'm not sure of which type of request I should complete through USCIS or if I should try to obtain a copy from the Supreme Court of Kings County. Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Confused about naturalization records
Do you have the actual certificate of naturalization? If so, you can just bring that along to your consulate meeting and they will examine it, take a photocopy, and immediately return the original to you.lorinigro wrote:I'm so lost in regards to requesting my GGF's naturalization papers. My aunt had a copy of them, so I have his petition number and his declaration of intent number. He naturalized in 1928 in Brooklyn, NY. I'm not sure of which type of request I should complete through USCIS or if I should try to obtain a copy from the Supreme Court of Kings County. Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?
Otherwise...
Look on the back of the petition (sometimes a separate sheet) for the "Oath of Allegiance" section. Is it completed and signed by your GFF and a judge or court clerk? If so, you should find the actual naturalization certificate number written in there as well. Now, go here https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/ and go directly to "Request a specific file by file number in a Record Request without Request Case ID". Fill in the order form and when you get to the part about which records, choose "C-File". When entering the certificate number (as noted above), put the letter "C" in front of the 7-digit number.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Confused about naturalization records
Thank you so much Carmine!
