Marriage certificate/ birth records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage certificate/ birth records

Post by nagnello »

I have been searching for my grand parents marriage certificate. Sam Agnello and Frances Kierski married Feb. 1921 in Chicago, I think. Any help out there? Also cannot find birth records for grandmother Frances J. Kierski, born on Aug 18, 1900 in Michigan.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Marriage certificate/ birth records

Post by Tessa78 »

Maybe these sites can be of use :-)

Cook County Records...
http://www.cookcountygenealogy.com/default.aspx

Seeking Michigan...
http://seekingmichigan.org/

Can you provide names of siblings of Frances? and possibly names of parents?
What part of Michigan are we talking about for her birth?

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres there son Anthony's birth record shows mother Francis last name spelled Kersky 20 yrs
click on prompt for record
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1462519

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Is it possible Francis could name be spelled Kersky? Was her father Frank Kersky and mother Henrietta Kersky

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nagnello »

Mother's name was Pelagia (Milowska) Kierski , 1858-1952; father was Joseph Kierski,1866-1914. Frances, 1900-1965; had 3 brothers, Walter, Albert and Frank, and sisters Pauline (or Margie), Mary (Quick), and Leona. I know when the brothers Frank and Walter died but cannot find birth records or death records for other siblings. I have been informed that Michigan will not give birth records unless your name is on the cert. Not really possible, is it? The only census record I have found is from 1930 when Pelagia lived in Michigan with Walter.
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nagnello »

I forgot to add that the family story is that she was born in Caro, Michigan. She had 3 children with Sam Agnello, Anthony, Lillian and Richard.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The only census record I have found is from 1930 when Pelagia lived in Michigan with Walter.
POSSIBLE 1910 Census for Joseph Kierski (spelled KURSKI on this census)
Living in Grand Rapids, Kent, Michigan

My guess is that the younger Frances is the one you are looking for. She is listed as Frances Jr. or Frances J. :-) Age is slightly off but could just be an error.
Brothers Albert and Frank are there, too.

Name: Joseph Kurski
Birthplace: Germany
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Residence: Grand Rapids Ward 6, Kent, Michigan
Marital Status: Married
Race : White
Immigration Year: 1891
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Family Number: 97
Page Number: 6
Household Gender Age
Joseph Kurski M 42y
Spouse Maggie Kurski F 39y
Child Frances Kurski F 16y
Child Albert Kurski M 12y
Child Maggie Kurski F 11y
Child Frances Kurski F 5y
Child Frank Kurski M 4y
Child Pauline Kurski F 2y
Child Suzzie Kurski F 1y

Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

T.
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nagnello »

Thanks for the info. It lists spouse as Maggie, is the American version of Pelagia? The record seems to have all the names, but mixed up. Also who is the first Frances, 16 yrs. old? The 5 yr. old Frances could be my grandmother, her name was Frances Josephine. Maybe 1st Frances was a relative. I will run this by my family and see if we agree. Thanks again. Nina
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

May as well put my one cent in for what it`s worth! That 5 year old Frances does have a couple of letters after Frances.The first one could be a J, but I am not real sure, but it worries me what it is. Strange though having two children with the same name. John.
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nagnello »

Yes, it worries me too. Since I last logged in, I found Joseph and Pelagia's marriage certificate, name is spelled Kerski. Changes the birth year I had for Pelagia, but I now have joseph's father and mothers names. I also found different birth dates for my grandmother Frances's siblings, and more siblings, too. Although I didn't find Frances's birth record. YET
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

Hard to work out alright.In the census you start off with 5 girls and 2 boys. Then from what you say, that you know from later information,you finish up with 4 girls and 3 boys? Well I suppose that is possible if one of the girls died later on and they had another child or more after the census, which is possible,as they did have a 1 year old at the time of the census when mum was 39. Now Albert is still there. Frank is still there. Frances(J?), is still there, but older Frances has gone,Pauline was there but is still Pauline BUT maybe called Maggie! Well we had a Pauline, plus a Maggie in the census....so something very funny there. Suzzie has gone and then we have a Leona, Mary(Quick) and Walter? I cannot get a grip on this at all, and understand why you are having some problems. I hope it works out, and I will keep thinking about it, and I just hope I am reading this right!...Good Luck! John
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

Sorry,in my previous post I did misread that Pauline may have been known as Maggie, but as you said, it was Margie that Pauline may have been known as. I would have thought that Maggie was a better chance to have been known as Margie, than a Pauline to be known as Margie. Hopefully it will work itself out! John
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

John again! I cannot help being interested in what is going on in that census of your family.(I am waiting on a bunch of Italian certificates, and then I will start in earnest on my fathers side of the family, but until then I have a bit of time). I do think now that those kids on the census are all Maggie`s. If you follow over on other questions asked in that census(I do not always read all that!),it has "Mother of how many children Born" and in Maggie`s column it has 8. Next to that it has "number now living" and it has 7. Well that fits in well from the number of children in the census, but it would appear one child has died, maybe at birth,or later. So I think the kids are all their`s and not some being stop overs for the night. Seeing there is mention of German/Polish with the parents I had a google of naming patterns. Now German naming patterns that came back into vogue in the late 1800s and maybe followed on into the 1900s, it was popular to give children the same first name, but give a different second name. They gave an example of Johann Georg, then the next son Johann Willem etc.And they were usually known more by their second name than their first name. In church records you could find them by their first name,or equally sometimes their second name or sometimes both names!... how confusing for the researcher! So I can see now a possible reason that the name Frances does occur twice, and especially seeing you called her Frances Josephine from memory. Maybe the older Frances was just Frances or possibly had a different second name to your Frances Josephine. Just my thoughts again, I may be totally wrong....Keep with it and I am sure you will. John
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nagnello »

Thanks for all your help. Since I first sent out this question I have found Joseph and Pelagia's marriage info; 1890. I have also found other children born before my grandmother, Frances. But strangely I still can't find anything about Frances. My aunt, her daughter, is still alive and she says that is her mother's name. As for the birth date, she could of stretched the truth. The children listed do not match the dates I have either. And no one ever remembers our great-grandmother, Pelagia called Maggie. I will keep searching, tho. Nina
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

Just a google search tells me of a Saint Pelagia, who can be known as Margarito,Saint Marina or Saint Margaret.The usual date of celebration is 8 October, but it mentions that it can also be 5 May or 23 July , but the 8 October seems to be the main accepted day. Now to go from Pelagia to Margaret,when in an English speaking country seems very realistic and as Maggie is a pet/family name for Margaret in some English speaking countries, to me anyhow, I would accept fully, that name transformation,from Pelagia to Maggie, unless I discovered some other reason for it with more research. Maybe Pelagia was born in October or even on the 8th of October, but not necessary of course. Pelagia in Greek does also refer to the Ocean, but that seems to be different from the Saint Pelagia one. John