My dad passed away recently and of course there are errors in his death certificate! I called the town (on Long Island, NYS) and a rather unhelpful woman referred me to the funeral home. The funeral home (who made the errors) was in touch with the town and says I must go to the town registrar in person to make the corrections. I can't imagine this is the only way to go about it.
Can't we make the corrections through NYS? Who do I contact? I can't find this information online. Does the state get the records right away? (I believe in NYC it's easier to make a correction through the funeral home for 6 months or something, but this is NYS).
I'm very lucky to have already made the corrections in my parents' other documents. But it's shocking to me how easily these errors creep in and how tough it is to change them! I have my usual anger and frustration in dealing with the bureaucracy, made more upsetting because it's my father. I was ready to start screaming at the town woman with the first call, but I know that's not going to help.
Correcting NYS Death Certificate?
- KarenChristino
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- KarenChristino
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: Correcting NYS Death Certificate?
Oops! I see I posted to the wrong place! Will copy to the Citizenship section.