Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Any thoughts on what the Groom's mother's maiden name is on this one?
The groom is Felice Bussi, of Canelli and his father's name is Carlo; Teresa is very plain to me, but after that? Sar...Sam...San...??
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
The last letter looks like an "O" to me; compare to the "O" in Carlo and Maggio (which, not incidentally I'm sure, should be Mazzia). All the "i" that I see are dotted.
Is there a site anyone knows of where I can scan through lists of names common to certain areas? I've tried Googling, but haven't hit upon the right combo yet...
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DebiHarbuck wrote:The last letter looks like an "O" to me; compare to the "O" in Carlo and Maggio (which, not incidentally I'm sure, should be Mazzia). All the "i" that I see are dotted.
Is there a site anyone knows of where I can scan through lists of names common to certain areas? I've tried Googling, but haven't hit upon the right combo yet...
If thats the case the it could be just some more Italian names screw up by record keepers. Best luck might be getting his birth record from FHL Registri dello stato civile di Canelli (Asti), 1866-1910 if your sure of his location of birth.
Also the old standby http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
How about "Sormano"? Here's Felice's brother Paolo's manifest (line 26); looks like his mother's name is listed as "Bussi Sormano Teresa"?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
Not yet. The only other manifest I've found so far lists Giovanni Bussi, going to his brother Paolo and leaving his mother, Teresa...but no last name is given at all.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
In the Manifest, it really looks like Sormano. Moreover, it is a surname from Piemonte. But that is not what they wrote in the certificate (the "r" is missing, or the "m" turned to "n")!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Yes, Pippo. The bride's mother's name is Silvina Mazzia, and that's not what's written on the certificate, either.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
An Italian novel for kids called "La Freccia Azzurra" (The Blue Arrow) says that all the children in the world wait for Christmas Eve to get presents from Santa Clause, but Italian kids are the luckiest in the world because they get presents again on the 6th of January by the Befana. Who is the Befa...