Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
dabo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Jan 2005, 00:00
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Consolato d'Italia Spalato

Post by dabo »

Auburn0508 wrote:Hey everyone!! Hope you had a great Christmas...

No, I haven't heard back from the Consolato yet. But it did give me a few ideas on other possible research connections.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but my question is this - what is the most reliable source of translation from English to Italian, and how do I/ where can I access it? I don't speak a work of Italian, so manual translation is out of the question...

I know it's going to cost a fair bit, but I might send the next lot of enquiries by overseas post. A letter might be more personal than a short e-mail... :lol:
Hi,

maybe I can help you. I am living in Dekani (Slovenia). The italian name for this town is Villa Decani. There is a family here named Å tefanoviÄÂ
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

Dabo your message was not delivered. Peter
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

Dabo:

Thank you for your help. :) It was a pleasant surprise to log in and discover you know some potential ancestors.

However, as much as I wish they were, I have some doubt that the Stefanovich's in modern-day Villa Decani are the same as my grandmother's family... unless there is some link I have not been told about.

I have no records of my grandmother having any male siblings - only two sisters. Theoretically, if all three women married before having children, the Stefanovich surname would not carry through; instead, the paternal name (in my case, Guglielmini) would be assigned to each of the offspring.

:arrow: Unless, of course, a child was born out of wedlock or was assigned the mother's maiden name... Are there any similar cases in which such a scenario could apply?

Another possibility is that my grandmother's father could have had siblings... although I have no record of that to date.

Thanks again for your help, and for the help of everyone here. 8)
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

Hey guys.

Still haven't heard back from the Consolato d'Italia, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much just yet.

Am planning on sending a written letter to a few other places, and have written a rough outline in English. The translated version (via freetranslation.com) is below.

I've never spoken a word of Italian in my life. Could somebody please review this translation for me, to see if it makes any sense?

My thanks in advance for your help. :)


*************************************************************

Il Signore cari o la Signora:

Mi chiamo Doorn di furgone di Maree e cerco delle informazioni su mia madre¡¦s la famiglia avita. Nel particolare, cerco qualunque documentazione (soprattutto la nascita, il matrimonio, le registrazioni di immigrazione e morte) per le persone seguenti:

„H Rudolfo Guglielmini ¡V il mio grande-nonno. Nato in 1901. Il padre di Giuseppe Guglielmini. Nessuno altro informazioni conosciute.

„H Catherine Guglielmini (Beric di nee) ¡V la mia grande-nonna. La moglie di Rudolfo. Nessune informazioni conosciute.

„H Giuseppe Guglielmini ¡V mio nonno, nato sul 20 di agosto 1928 in Spalato, Jugoslavia. Deceduto, ma nessuni dettagli conosciuti o data. Sposato, sebbene data sconosciuto. Emigrato a Townsville, Australia nel 1954 giugno, ed il certificato di Naturalizzazione ricevuto in 1595. . Il nome È Stato Inglesizzato a Williams. Il figlio di Rudolfo Guglielmini & Catherine Beric. Il marito a Lucilla Stefanovich

„H Gianpolo Stefanovich ¡V il mio grande-nonno. Il padre di Albatro, Anna e Lucilla Stefanovich. Il marito a Rosalia (il nee sconosciuto). Nessuno altro informazioni conosciute.

„H Rosalia Stefanovich (il nee sconosciuto) ¡V la mia grande-nonna. Nessune informazioni conosciute.

„H Lucilla Guglielmini (Stefanovich di nee) ¡V mia nonna, nata 12 il 1928 ottobre in Decani di Villa, Italia. Deceduto ¡V 1992. Le informazioni di migrazione stesse come sopra. La madre di Maurizio, la Grazia di Rosalia di Susanne (mia madre) e John Paul schell Williams.

La ringrazio per qualunque informazioni con cui lei può essere in grado di me fornire. Per favore inviarme tali informazioni sulla carta non legale, ed includere un consiglio su qualunque costi che possono essere incorsi durante tale ricerca.

Ringraziarla ancora per il suo tempo e per l'aiuto.

Il vostro fedelmente,

Doorn di furgone di Gen di Maree
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

Figured this would give you all a laugh... I translated the above back to English, and this is what I got:

*************************************************************

The expensive Mister or the Lady:

I call myself Tides of van of Doorn and I seek some information on my mother¡¦s the family had. In the detail, I seek whatever documentation (above all the birth, the marriage, the records of immigration and death) for the following persons:

„H Rudolfo Guglielmini ¡V the mine large-grandfather. Been born in 1901. The father of Giuseppe Guglielmini. No other well-known information.

„H Catherine Guglielmini (Beric of flaws) ¡V the mine large-grandmother. The wife of Rudolfo. No well-known information.

„H Giuseppe Guglielmini ¡my V grandfather, been born on 20 of August 1928 in Shoveled, Yugoslavia. Deceased, but no well-known details or given. Married, even though given unknown. Emigrated to Townsville, Australia in june 1954, and the certificate of Naturalizzazione received in 1595. . The name Was Inglesizzato to Williams. The son of Rudolfo Guglielmini & Catherine Beric. The husband to Lucilla Stefanovich

„H Gianpolo Stefanovich ¡V the mine large-grandfather. The father of Albatro, Anna and Lucilla Stefanovich. The husband to Rosalia (the unknown flaws). No other well-known information.

„H Rosalia Stefanovich (the unknown flaws) ¡V the mine large-grandmother. No well-known information.

„H Lucilla Guglielmini (Stefanovich of flaws) ¡my V grandmother, born 12 october 1928 in Deans of Villa, Italy. Deceased ¡V 1992. The same information of migration like above. The mother of Mauritius, the Charm of Rosalia of Susanne (my mother) and John Paul schell Williams.

I thank it for whatever information with that she is able to be in a position of me supply. For favor such inviarme information on the not legal card, and to include an advice on whatever costs that can be run during such search.

To thank it still for its time and for the help.

Your faithfully,

Doorn of van of Gen of Tides

*************************************************************
... I never knew what my name R/L meant in Italian. Now I know. :lol: Tides = Maree. :roll:


Could anyone possibly help me to tidy this letter up? :oops: Grazie.
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

.......and you got this from www.freetranslation.com???????????????Peter
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

Yup - used the very same link you posted me in an earlier message. Copied & pasted the translation directly as it said on the webiste to here.
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

I am shocked and dismayed as this has never happened. Did you translate from english tyo Italian or vice versa...?? peter
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

I initially translated from English to Italian. Then, to check the quality, I put the exact Italian translation back into the system, and translated it to English.

I have heard of cases like this before, where a re-translation goes awry. That's why I posted it, to get the input and assistance of people who know much better than I. 8)
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

The italian is probably good but re-translatiion is never my thing. What language do you want anyway? Peter
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

I'm planning on sending the same letter twice in each envelope - one in English and one in Italian.
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by ptimber »

Why english? and if you must send english along with italian why not just write it in your own words and so there willbe the same written in two different ways..whats worng with that? peter
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

I have written the letter in English - that's where I got the first translation from (to Italian). The re-translation was a quality/accuracy check on the program...

I'm sending both English and Italian as a courtesy to both them and myself. They can choose which language to reply in - and I will have a copy of every communication in both languages for my records.

My request and re-translation is to do with the accuracy of the Italian copy of the letter. Is it fluent and gramatically correct? As sardonic, rude and irritating as you can be, you know a heck of a lot more than I do about the Italian language. :P
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by wldspirit »

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... talian.ASP


The Lds form letter for Italian has more options and contains other useful information on writing to Italy.

wldspirit
User avatar
Auburn0508
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Australian girl seeks Italian/Jugoslavian heritage info

Post by Auburn0508 »

Wldspirit:

I've only had time for a brief look, but muchos gracias senorita. :) This seems to be exactly what I need to get ahead.

Now hopefully they'll reply... especially if I add a little incentive or two. :wink: Although I should check the exchange rate for $AUS to the Euro... :D
A balance of caution and risk is necessary for a true life. Too much of one can lead to a long, dull existence - too much of the other can lead to a short pointless existence. Moderation in all things - a full and fully-experienced life. :)
Post Reply