Trying to get NYC to file birth certificate for deceased GF

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TruEstCst

Trying to get NYC to file birth certificate for deceased GF

Post by TruEstCst »

Hi, NYC can't find my grandfathers birth certificate. They say it was likely not filed. I recently went there to check microfiches and had no luck. Has anyone ever had any lucky trying to take legal action to make the city file the birth. I have overwhelming proof. I don't even know what kind of lawyer would handle the case. I don't want to give up as its the last document needed to get my Italian citizenship!!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Trying to get NYC to file birth certificate for deceased

Post by adelfio »

Do you know the funeral home where he at ? Did you try there for info on your gf. Did he die in a hospital or at home?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
JimmyT

Post by JimmyT »

If you have overwhelming proof, then you can get a court order to have the city record his birth. This is not too difficult. You can do it yourself. You would need to go to the New York State Supreme Court (not like federal courts, the supreme court is actually a lower level court). I think it costs around $300.

You will have difficulty in getting a certified copy of his birth certificate even if it had been filed. This way you get the birth recorded and a certified copy to complete your application to the consulate.
JimmyT

Post by JimmyT »

I neglected to mention that the first step you should take is to present your documentation to NYC and request the recording of your grandfather's birth. You never know, they might accept and you will be done. If they don't, then their rejection letter becomes the basis of your court order. You can't start the request for the court order without having been rejected first.