Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

suanj wrote:
ntedesco11 wrote:
suanj wrote:I believe tat is the right Maddalena La Placa, because her secopnd son was named Joseph... maybe on the ship's manifest she declared Rosario as first name of father, because.... maybe... his first name was Giuseppe Rosario..
suanj
Oh wow, how did you know that Madeline had a son named Joseph? He was born in Cooperstown, NY (information found on Ancestry.com). If there was another son, I'm starting to wonder if she was married before getting married to my great-grandfather (Tedesco)...
I know this info by the censuses:
1930 United States Federal Census about Lena Tedesco
Name: Lena Tedesco
Gender: Female
Birth Year: abt 1894
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home: View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1918
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Frank Tedesco
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Occupation:

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Tedesco 44
Lena Tedesco 36
Rudolph Tedesco 10
Joseph Tedesco 9
Jack Tedesco 5
Angelo Tedesco 2
[2 6/12]

1940 United States Federal Census about Lena Tedesco
Name: Lena Tedesco
Respondent: Yes
Age: 48
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Gender: Female
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Home in 1940: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: North Street
House Number: 574
Inferred Residence in 1935: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Citizenship: Alien
Sheet Number: 8A
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 2nd grade
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Tedesco 54
Lena Tedesco 48
Rudolph Tedesco 19
Joseph Tedesco 18
Jack Tedesco 15
Angelo Tedesco 12


they are the right censuses?
suanj
Yes it is, I just couldn't remember if I had mentioned who their children were. I'm so glad you're on the ball. :) And with Madeline's father possibly named as Giuseppe Rosariio, I'm going to run with that since anything is possible and I don't have anyone to either confirm or deny the information. Is there a way, by any chance, to find out more about her parents?

Jack was my grandfather and he was never able to share stories with me. Now for Francesco, I do know his father was in Rochester with them. Is there anything on Rudolph/Gandolfo Tedesco? I know he died in Rochester 19 May 1953, born about 1862.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

you said just on Maddalena..

I found the possible birth act of Maddalena sister:

Rosa LA PLACA born in Petralia Soprana on 8 Nov. 1889 #305, daughter of Giuseppe La Claca 33 old, farmer and daughter of Grazia Spinoso
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :828811175

so this Maddalena had a sister Rosa.. :D
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

I found this record:
1910 United States Federal Census about Lena Laplaca
Name: Lena Laplaca
Age in 1910: 17
Birth Year: abt 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 13, New York, New York
Race: White
Gender: Female
Immigration Year: 1900
Relation to Head of House: Sister-in-law
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Pergo 28
Rose Pergo 20
Sarah Pergo 1
[1 6/12]
Lena Laplaca 17


I cannot understand the italian surname spelling of Rose husband...
this Lena could be your Maddalena? on the ship's manifest she declared that already shewas in NY for some years..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

abt Tedesco line, Rudolph in 1940 census:
1940 United States Federal Census about Rudolph Tedesco
Name: Rudolph Tedesco
Age: 79
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Gender: Male
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Widowed
Relation to Head of House: Father
Home in 1940: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: Hayward Avenue
House Number: 129
Inferred Residence in 1935: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Residence in 1935: Same House
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Citizenship: Alien
Sheet Number: 7B
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: None
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Jack Tedesco 47
Francesa Tedesco 37
Angeline Tedesco 10
Consetta Tedesco 8
Grace Tedesco 4
Louis Picone 14
Rudolph Tedesco 79


on the your Frank Tedesco WWI draft registration card the nearest relative is Gandolfo Tedesco father:
U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Frank Tedesco
Name: Frank Tedesco
City: Rochester
County: Monroe
State: New York
Birth Date: 18 Dec 1886
Race: White
Draft Board: 6

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... ml_rpos=13

Gandolfo Tedesco trip:
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Gandolfo Tedesco
Name: Gandolfo Tedesco
Arrival Date: 2 Aug 1893
Birth Date: abt 1867
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Letimbro

the age seeming wrong..


other trip:

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Gandolfo Tedesco
Name: Gandolfo Tedesco
Arrival Date: 23 Nov 1907
Birth Date: abt 1862
Birth Location: Sicily
Birth Location Other: collerans (Collesano)
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Sannio

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... &ml_rpos=9

wife Angela .... (maiden name unreadable) in Collesano; joining at son Giacomo Tedesco 3 Mulberry st New York, NY; already in Ny from 1894 to 1900(?)

a trip of Giacomo Tedesco (Jack Tedesco):
First Name: Giacomo
Last Name: Tedesco
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Collesano, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Sep 01, 1910
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: San Giovanni
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0019
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0183%2ETIF
mother Angela Quagliano/a in Scillato, joining at father Gandolfo Tedesco 5 Monroe st New York; born in Scillato

hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

suanj wrote:you said just on Maddalena..

I found the possible birth act of Maddalena sister:

Rosa LA PLACA born in Petralia Soprana on 8 Nov. 1889 #305, daughter of Giuseppe La Claca 33 old, farmer and daughter of Grazia Spinoso
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :828811175

so this Maddalena had a sister Rosa.. :D
suanj
Oh perfect, I feel better now that there are more documents that can confirm this is the Maddalena "Lena" I'm looking for.
suanj wrote:I found this record:
1910 United States Federal Census about Lena Laplaca
Name: Lena Laplaca
Age in 1910: 17
Birth Year: abt 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 13, New York, New York
Race: White
Gender: Female
Immigration Year: 1900
Relation to Head of House: Sister-in-law
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Pergo 28
Rose Pergo 20
Sarah Pergo 1
[1 6/12]
Lena Laplaca 17


I cannot understand the italian surname spelling of Rose husband...
this Lena could be your Maddalena? on the ship's manifest she declared that already shewas in NY for some years..
suanj
With this census, it would make sense that she would be in the same area as the Tedescos, so I would bet that this is her, but I'll have to mention the last name Pergo to my family to see if it rings a bell.

Now, the trip for Gandolfo Tedesco to come be with his son Giacomo is the right one. That was Francesco's brother and whom my grandfather jack is named after. Now I'm wondering who Gandolfo was married to.

Thank you so much!!!!! :D :D
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

Gandolfo Tedesco was married at Angela Quagliana...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ntedesco11
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Sep 2013, 00:15

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by ntedesco11 »

Quagliana, interesting. Does this name have a meaning in Italian? Like how, for instance, Boccabella means beautiful mouth...
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Tedesco/Laplaca early 1900s

Post by suanj »

I know not the Quagliana meaning
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply