As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
I understand finding accurate 'Coat of Arms' information is hard due to certain types of sites out there... However I believe this to be the one for Messina:
I was hoping to find one for a smaller town, Longi, in Messina.
Do smaller towns actually have Coat of Arms? Was there one for Sicily or anything that might be more fitting?
During the mass emigration from Italy during the century between 1876 to 1976, the U.S. was the largest single recipient of Italian immigrants in the world. However, their impact was not as great as countries like Argentina and Brazil. That was due to the fact that hundreds of thousands of immigrant...