Please help with profession translation
Please help with profession translation
I have attached a birth record with a red arrow pointing to the profession of a witness. Please let me know what the Italian spelling is as well as the translation. I have REALLY tried to figure it out but can't. Thank you!
Re: Please help with profession translation
Hi TerryTerryM wrote:I have attached a birth record with a red arrow pointing to the profession of a witness. Please let me know what the Italian spelling is as well as the translation. I have REALLY tried to figure it out but can't. Thank you!
The word as written in this document is barilajo. Sometimes we find the letter "j" in place of the letter "i" in surnames or in other words. In this case, it is in an occupation word. The occupation is barrel maker, which we normally see spelled as "barilaio"
Erudita
Re: Please help with profession translation
Thank you Erudita! That was quick! Yes, it was the "j" that threw me. I also thought the "r" was an "n" or "m".
Re: Please help with profession translation
TerryM wrote:Thank you Erudita! That was quick! Yes, it was the "j" that threw me. I also thought the "r" was an "n" or "m".
Hi Terry
Happy to help.
Erudita

