Marriage index entry

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Marriage index entry

Post by lcafarel »

Can anyone make out the words between "Cafarelli Maria Angela" and "Nubile" in the entry for Michele LoSquadro's bride, record #62, in this index from Ferrandina (MT)?
Attachments
Cafarelli marriage.JPG
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Marriage index entry

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Maria Angela ....? Fedele. The third given name is a hard to read. Can you supply a link to this index?

Editing: Curzia seems to fit but it is blurry to me so just guess work.
Angela
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

The image is not online. This is a screenshot from a photo I took of the Indice Decennale. I'm attaching two more versions, both sharpened a few times and one negative image. Unfortunately, the word after Angela is smudged.

I'm looking for a marriage, probably in Ferrandina, for a young woman baptized Angela Maria Cafarelli in Ferrandina in 1856. This is the only index entry I've found so far for a similar name in the right time frame. Is it possible this could be the same person even with a given name longer than her baptismal name? Or could this be a phrase rather than a name? I've seen many names that were shortened in later documents but never lengthened. Also, it looks to me as though there might be a comma after Angela, but not between every part of the given name as happens sometimes.

This is an index, and I obviously need to get the actual record, which should tell me if this is the right person, but the index entry is puzzling if it is the same person.
Attachments
Cafarelli marriage negative.jpg
Cafarelli marriage.JPG
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Anna?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote:Anna?
Could be. The name definitely ends with an "a". To me it looks like an "i" is the second to last letter, but maybe not. What looks like a dot just might be a mark.

It would be good to get a copy of the marriage record to see if the parents match the parents of the Baptism Record.

Angela
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

I wondered about Anna, too, or even a second Maria, but that would be puzzling. I agree, I need the actual record. In the meantime, I'll look through the index again to see if there might be another candidate.

Thanks for your input.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

What year range are you looking at? Are you able to post a couple more images within the same year for script comparison. I notice in the extract here that you have posted, the other two capitalised A's are quite distinct in that they are perfectly formed, there is no opening at the top of the A. That's why it looks like a "C" to me. Interesting, I had wondered about Maria too, and that actually could make sense as to why there is a comma after the first names. I'm sure I have seen this in one of my records and thought it was unusual at the time too. I'll see if I can locate it.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Named: Nicolina, Rosa Maria, Maria Giovanna: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

She went by the name “Rosa Maria” in subsequent records.

Angela
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

That's very interesting, Angela Grace. I've seen long names with commas between each portion, but the portions were single words. Rosa Maria must have been named after at least three people with these double names.

I'll post a larger image or two soon.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

lcafarel wrote: Rosa Maria must have been named after at least three people with these double names.
I think it had more to do with the fact that people in Basilicata, well at least in the towns that my family originated from, had a particular devotion to Mary. I need to look into this further. I know that at home mum would remember and celebrate every (well it seemed like every) "feast day" of Mary and mark the occasion with the rosary and a special meal. This Rosa Maria's mother was Maria Teresa, her daughters were Maria Teresa and Maria Grazie.

Angela