citizenship question on passport etc.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
julwebb76
Rookie
Rookie

citizenship question on passport etc.

Post by julwebb76 »

Hello,
I have a few questions..
1. do i have to have a us passport before applying for dual Italian citizenship?

2. If i am going through my GGF for dual citizenship do i have to have my GGM birth certificate and if she naturalized ? I doubt she naturalized since she was born in the states.

3. on 1 census record it states my GM was naturalized through her mom when she was 10 and my grandmother came to the states for the first time however i have not found any legal naturalization documents ( was told she was US and Italian citizen when she was born cause her mother was born in US and her father was an italian citizen at her birth( and remained one till he passed away) I read that they may want a census document. is this true and will it throw the consulate or comunes off?

4. I am going through Detroit consulate and have been looking for a list as to help guide me as too all the documents i need but do not see one anywhere on the site. Is there a basic list that i can use that has EVERYTHING on it? i do not want to be missing any documents.

5. is there a requirement for any visa before applying as well?

sorry for all the questions I just want to be thorough so i do not have to do anything twice! Thank you for taking your time to read and answer my questions.
mler
Master
Master

Re: citizenship question on passport etc.

Post by mler »

1. Generally, the consulate will make a copy of your US passport.

2. Most ask for birth certificates from both sides of the family. In your case it is particularly important because it demonstrate that your gm was an American citizen from birth.

3. You don't need census documents unless you are trying to show additional evidence of no naturalization. Since your ggm was born in the US, that is proof enough of no naturalization to her and her daughter.

4. Basic list is birth, marriage, death and naturalization certificates (if applicable).
julwebb76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by julwebb76 »

ok Perfect!! Now i do not currently have a US passport so do i need to apply for one before i make an appointment with the consulate?
Also since I have my GGM and GM birth certificates do i still need a letter from the USCIS? saying there are no naturalization records?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Actually, a US passport is not a requirement for citizenship recognition, but the consulates seems to ask for it, so it's best not to make an issue over a document that is so easy to obtain.

Your second question is more difficult to answer. The fact that your ggm was born in the US automatically made her a US citizen. That your gm was the child of a US citizen, made her a US citizen at birth as well. Since both were born US citizens, it would have been impossible for them to naturalize. We're I in your position, I would go with those documents only. The census records only confuse the issue because they mention a naturalization that never took place.

Be prepared to argue your position. I would prepare a detailed summary sheet to submit with your records. On that sheet, include all dates (birth, marriage, death). When you get to your gm, make a notation that Italian citizenship was obtained at birth from her Italian citizen father (and also through her mother who married an Italian man at a time when marriage automatically conferred Italian citizenship to the wife of an Italian) and US citizenship at birth from her US-citizen mother. If they ask for naturalization records, emphasize that your ggf never left Italy (note birth, marriage and death records) and that naturalization was impossible for both your ggm and gm because they were born US citizens.

I understand that the Detroit consulate is one of the better ones, so you may not have to do anything further. If they demand more proof and it is possible to comply without damaging your case, do so. If they are very difficult, a lawsuit should solve your problems.