Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
- aussiefarinola
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Dec 2013, 12:50
Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Hello,
I am trying to locate information regarding my husband's paternal grandmother and her family who I believe are from Bari, Molfetta.
His grandmother's name is:
Teresa Porcelli
B: 28-SEP-1917 Molfetta, Italy
D: 13-NOV-1995 Port Pirie, South Australia.
She married Saverio Farinola before they moved to Australia to raise their family.
From what I have been able to gather so far, purely by word of mouth from a distant family member, is that her parents were:
Paolo Porcelli
Portzia (I don't have her maiden name)
Paolo's parents were:
Paolo Nicola Porcelli
Teresa Gagliardi
These details have been provided by a family member but they do not have any dates for birth, death or marriage for any of them.
I do not speak or read Italian at all and it's made it really hard for me. Plus we have limited contact with any of my husband's family. If anyone is able to assist me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you all in advance and hope you had a great Christmas and New Year period.
I am trying to locate information regarding my husband's paternal grandmother and her family who I believe are from Bari, Molfetta.
His grandmother's name is:
Teresa Porcelli
B: 28-SEP-1917 Molfetta, Italy
D: 13-NOV-1995 Port Pirie, South Australia.
She married Saverio Farinola before they moved to Australia to raise their family.
From what I have been able to gather so far, purely by word of mouth from a distant family member, is that her parents were:
Paolo Porcelli
Portzia (I don't have her maiden name)
Paolo's parents were:
Paolo Nicola Porcelli
Teresa Gagliardi
These details have been provided by a family member but they do not have any dates for birth, death or marriage for any of them.
I do not speak or read Italian at all and it's made it really hard for me. Plus we have limited contact with any of my husband's family. If anyone is able to assist me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you all in advance and hope you had a great Christmas and New Year period.
Researching the following families:-
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
aussiefarinola wrote:Hello,
I am trying to locate information regarding my husband's paternal grandmother and her family who I believe are from Bari, Molfetta.
His grandmother's name is:
Teresa Porcelli
B: 28-SEP-1917 Molfetta, Italy
D: 13-NOV-1995 Port Pirie, South Australia.
She married Saverio Farinola before they moved to Australia to raise their family.
From what I have been able to gather so far, purely by word of mouth from a distant family member, is that her parents were:
Paolo Porcelli
Portzia (I don't have her maiden name)
Paolo's parents were:
Paolo Nicola Porcelli
Teresa Gagliardi
These details have been provided by a family member but they do not have any dates for birth, death or marriage for any of them.
I do not speak or read Italian at all and it's made it really hard for me. Plus we have limited contact with any of my husband's family. If anyone is able to assist me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you all in advance and hope you had a great Christmas and New Year period.
Marriage of Paolo Porcelli and Teresa Gagliardi in 1882 in Molfetta
#133 - dated 14 August 1882
Groom: age 25, occupation - Calcavolo, born and residing in Molfetta; son of deceased Paolo and of Maria Domenica Visaggio who resides in Molfetta.
Bride: Teresa Gagliardi, age 20, housewife born and residing in Molfetta; daughter of Giacomo who resides in Molfetta, and of Caterina Amato who resides in Molfetta.
Publication of the banns of marriage on 26 June and 2 July.
The parents of the bride were present to give their consent.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
Here is the birth of their son, Paolo Porcelli, in Molfetta in 1883.
#386
Dated 9 April 1883 - birth on same day at 8 AM
Appearing before the official was Paolo Porcelli, age 30, resident of Molfetta, to declare that at 8 AM on the 9th of the current month, at the house at Vico 2nd S. Raffaele #40, to Teresa Gagliardi, his wife, was born a male child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name PAOLO.
Margin notation states that he died in Molfetta on 15 January 1958.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
T.
- aussiefarinola
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Dec 2013, 12:50
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Thank you so very much for that information. It is greatly appreciated.
I must one day learn the Italian language.
Thank you again
I must one day learn the Italian language.
Thank you again
Researching the following families:-
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
In the meanwhile...aussiefarinola wrote:Thank you so very much for that information. It is greatly appreciated.
I must one day learn the Italian language.
Thank you again
Here is a resource to help you with translations
https://cfhg.byu.edu/Downloads/Italian_ ... efault.htm
T.
- aussiefarinola
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Dec 2013, 12:50
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Thank you ever so much for that. I am sure this will come in very handy.
I have been unable to work out what a 'Calcarolo' is however. I did find a street with the name in it and have asked a few italian people I know but they don't know what it is either. Do you or anyone else know whether it could have been a slang name for an occupation at all or a derivative of something else? I'm sure local dialects cause havoc with some of the documents as well. We also wondered whether it had something to do with the street name maybe.
I am not sure how I am going to find out the details of Teresa Farinola's mother, Portzia, at all either. I cannot access Teresa's death certificate here for another 7 years to see if her mother's maiden name is on it. Do you or anyone else know a way in which I could find this information out? From the information on Teresa's grave stone, I know she was born on the Sep 28 1917 in Molfetta, Italy and only know her fathers full details.
Thanks again.
I have been unable to work out what a 'Calcarolo' is however. I did find a street with the name in it and have asked a few italian people I know but they don't know what it is either. Do you or anyone else know whether it could have been a slang name for an occupation at all or a derivative of something else? I'm sure local dialects cause havoc with some of the documents as well. We also wondered whether it had something to do with the street name maybe.
I am not sure how I am going to find out the details of Teresa Farinola's mother, Portzia, at all either. I cannot access Teresa's death certificate here for another 7 years to see if her mother's maiden name is on it. Do you or anyone else know a way in which I could find this information out? From the information on Teresa's grave stone, I know she was born on the Sep 28 1917 in Molfetta, Italy and only know her fathers full details.
Thanks again.
Researching the following families:-
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Re: the profession Calcarolo
It is possibly a limestone worker or a limestone craftsman, maybe more likely to be the latter. The word for limestone is calcare.
Angela
It is possibly a limestone worker or a limestone craftsman, maybe more likely to be the latter. The word for limestone is calcare.
Angela
- aussiefarinola
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Dec 2013, 12:50
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Thank you Angela.
That actually makes sense as quite a few of the family here in Australia are all stonemasons
Thanks again.
That actually makes sense as quite a few of the family here in Australia are all stonemasons
Thanks again.
Researching the following families:-
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
Farinola - Spadavecchia - Porcelli - Gadaleta - Crocetta - Gagliardi - Zanna - de Gennaro - Amato - Capurso - Palmiotti - Ragno - Visaggio - (all from the Molfetta region)
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Happy to help. Glad it makes sense. Let's hope I got it right:-)
Angela
Angela
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
http://www.gravinaoggi.it/un_antico_mes ... _calc.html
http://www.fondazioneterradotranto.it/2 ... nellarneo/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Thankyou for the links, mmogno. I've only quickly read the first article because I need to go out shortly. I'll take a closer look later. What I'm understanding is, that the calcarolo (nu cal'caroul – in dialect?), was a craftsman who practiced the ancient craft of cal'caroul, ie firing the limestone for several days, at very high temperatures, in a special kiln, to produce/extract lime. Is that correct? It was no doubt a very hot and dangerous job, requiring much skill, endurance, and the inteligence to understand the chemistry involved - my thinking.
Angela
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Porcelli Family of Bari, Molfetta
Hi againaussiefarinola wrote: 18 Jan 2017, 04:13 I am not sure how I am going to find out the details of Teresa Farinola's mother, Portzia, at all either. I cannot access Teresa's death certificate here for another 7 years to see if her mother's maiden name is on it. Do you or anyone else know a way in which I could find this information out? From the information on Teresa's grave stone, I know she was born on the Sep 28 1917 in Molfetta, Italy and only know her fathers full details.
Thanks again.
I'm thinking that you should be able to write to Molfetta and request a copy of Teresa's birth record. If you would like to do this, someone can help you with the letter and provide the correct address.
Angela