Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by liviomoreno »

Calogero
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

imwormer wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 03:45 Concettas 2 Marriage Certificate, shows fathers name as Calegero?, same birth name as my Grand father.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by Tessa78 »

imwormer wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 02:26 T, Sorry but this bug has bitten me again and I'm more than curious now :shock: Attached I hope is a birth certificate of a Antonio DiMarco from 1881, and a passage of a Salvatore bringing Antonio over at the age of 8 I believe. Also there's a death notice of a Antonio in the year of 1904 with the parents of Salvatore and a Concetta. Please when time permits take a peek at them as I'm curious if theres a Salvatore, Concetta, and what looks like a Calegero? within.


James :D

Yes, this is a birth act for Antonino Di Marco in 1881 in Cammarata. Parents are Salvatore and Concetta.

The death record from NY appears to be the same person.

On Antonino's birth act and Concetta's marriage act her father is listed as Calogero. It would have been traditional for the second son to be named after the maternal grandfather.

I do not know if you already have this...marriage of Antonino Di Marco in NY in 1902.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24SB-7YW

AND... birth of his son Salvatore in 1903.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W4S-BS5

And another son, Antonino, born 1904
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27YX-C3C

Possible arrival of Calogero (spelled Calogera on the manifest), male, age 11, arriving NY in 1901 with his sisters Angela (8) and Giuseppa (13), going to their brother Antonino Di Marco in NY
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFJV-22V

T.
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

Wow...... T, Its looks like its starting to come together here, I can't thank you enough with all the help you have given me. I'm gonna try to start with the state of NY and look for Salvatores and Antonio's death certs. Maybe just maybe there buried together. Search goes on.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by Tessa78 »

Happy to help! :-)

Here is the NYC Death index listing for Antonino (listed as Antonio) in 1904.
You can order online the death certificate #5064 (for a fee) at the link below. The death certificate should indicate where he was buried.

DiMarco Antonio 23 y Sep 20 1904 #5064 Bronx

https://www1.nyc.gov/dorforms/deathCertificate.htm

I will see what else I can find about Antonino and Salvatore...

EDIT TO ADD***

This may be the death of Antonino and Raffaella's first child ... the age and borough are right.
Also from the NYC death index:

Dimarco Salvatore 4 m Mar 18 1904 #1253 Bronx

T.
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

T, I believe this is Giuseppe DiMarco born in 1888. Could you see if Concettas name is on the document, I see Salvatore's but not Concettas. Any witness's? I ordered Antonio's death cert. So far There's Marietta born 1879, Antonio - 1881 Francesca - 1884 Giuseppe - 1888 and Calegero -1890 Grandpa was the baby? Maybe he was using his older brothers birth year as it shows on his death cert or Grandma was confused at the time of his death.

Thanks James
Attachments
Giusseppi DiMarco Birth Cert (1888)2.jpg
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by Tessa78 »

This Giuseppe is not a sibling of Antonino/Calogero/Marietta, etc.
Though his father is Salvatore Di Marco (there were several in the town, and this one would have been born 1857), Salvatore's wife and mother of the child is Maria Giuseppa Valenti.

Death records can be very inaccurate. It is certainly a possibility that Concetta was confused. Best to verify with other documents.
I wish I were more successful with finding the marriage of Salvatore and Concetta :-(

T.
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

I have found on ancestry the Tagliareni's family tree showing a Giuseppa (Josephine) DiMarco born in 1888. I'm just trying to confirm is the sibling Giuseppa or Giuseppi DiMarco. A bit overwhelming at times T, but its all good.

T, I started this research back in 2007 and kind of pushed it aside due to the records being in Italian and worked on my mothers side. But finding this web site and wonderful people like yourself that help others is just great, and I applaud you and the others for donating your time with helping others like myself. Salute
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

Here's another one T, Possible Giuseppa or Giuseppi from Salvatore and Concetta.
Attachments
Giuseppa DiMarco Birth Cert(4).jpg
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, this is the Giuseppa who was traveling with Calogero and Angela on the manifest I posted.

Giuseppa was born 18 March 1888 @ noon, and presented to the official on the 22nd (date of the record) by her father.
She was the daughter of Salvatore Di Marco (43) and of his wife Concetta Di Marco.

Glad to be able to help :-D

T.
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

Tessa78 wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 04:44 Yes, this is the Giuseppa who was traveling with Calogero and Angela on the manifest I posted.

Giuseppa was born 18 March 1888 @ noon, and presented to the official on the 22nd (date of the record) by her father.
She was the daughter of Salvatore Di Marco (43) and of his wife Concetta Di Marco.

Glad to be able to help :-D

T.
T, would it be possible to find the address of Salvatore's and Concetta residence in Cammarata where any of the children were born. I'm walking in the town of Cammarata now - through Google maps. :lol:

Visiting Italy is surly on mine and my wife's bucket list in the near future.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by Tessa78 »

On the above record for Giuseppa in 1888, the address is Via De Angelis #13 :-)

I will check the other records to see if it is the same address...
Edit to add: The same address appears in the births of Francesca, Angela and Calogero :-)

FYI - I was looking back at the marriage of Marietta (when Salvatore was residing in New York) and it appears that he did not attend the marriage. There is a notation in the document that the official received from a Notary in New York, the formal consent of the father for Marietta to marry.

T.
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

T, Going through these marriage transcripts I believe I noticed that there's a lot of years missing or am I missing something or in the wrong spot. Question, If Salvatore is listed on Francesca's birth certificate in 1884 being 38 years old making Salvatore's birth year in and around 1846 also Giuseppi birth year 1888 Salvatore was 43 putting Salvatore birth year in and around 1845. Concettas headstone reads a birth year of 1863 a difference in and around 18 years, could this be? I'm going to send away for Concettas death record and see what happens, New York seems to be a lot easier obtaining records than New Jersey for some reason.

Also, I sent away for Antonio's death record the other day. Today I spent the day in Bayonnes Library looking and finding both Concettas and Angelina's obituary's where a church is listed with Concetta's. I will try to contact the church for info as well.

Hope All Is Well,
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 01:45 Continuing...

Here is the POSSIBLE birth act in 1846 of Salvatore Di Marco.
#7 - born on 3 January 1846
Father: Vito Di Marco
Mother: Grazia Giarratano
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

I have not been able to locate the marriage of Salvatore and Concetta which would verify his parents' names.

T.
In this earlier post I gave you a POSSIBLE birth act for Salvatore. Though there are several Salvatore
Di Marcos in town, this was the only one I found in the range of dates around 1846. I was hoping there would be a notation of marriage on the birth act.
It is definitely possible that Salvatore and Concetta were 18 years apart in age...
I checked birth acts from 1855 to 1861 (years 1862 - 1879 are missing) - no Concetta.

The problem with death acts (you mentioned that you sent for Concetta's) is that the information is provided by someone else and can be very inaccurate.
On her ship manifest in 1919, she lists her age as 56. On her marriage in 1902, she lists 41. So I think 1861-1863 is definitely in the range.

You are correct about the missing marriage records. I have checked records back to 1879. If they were married before that, you will need to write to the Comune of Cammarata. In fact, you can write and request Concetta's birth act as well - just give them a range of 5 years (e.g. 1861-1866)

T.
User avatar
imwormer
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 08 Mar 2008, 13:53
Location: Middletown New Jersey U.S.A.

Re: Translation of Angelinas Birth Certicate

Post by imwormer »

Very Good T, I will try writing into the Comune of Cammarata for both marriage and birth for both Salvatore and Concetta. I cant stop now it would be like getting up half way through a good movie with out seeing the ending. I'm in it too deep now.... Wink!!!
Post Reply