Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nicolep wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 21:37
Thank you for this. I was really struggling with "civico spedale nel quale" for some reason.
I think it was spedale that threw me off as that isn't a translation I know for "hospital" but I suppose it could have just been miswritten. Or an old translation.
Hi Nicole
Spedale would have been correct at the time. It is an archaic spelling for ospedale. Sometimes you also see similar versions of the word when dialect creeps. In Sicilian records I've occasionally seen spitali, which is the Sicilian word for hospital.
That definitely makes sense and confirmed my suspicion. So very helpful!
As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians. The earlies...