Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nicolep wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 21:37
Thank you for this. I was really struggling with "civico spedale nel quale" for some reason.
I think it was spedale that threw me off as that isn't a translation I know for "hospital" but I suppose it could have just been miswritten. Or an old translation.
Hi Nicole
Spedale would have been correct at the time. It is an archaic spelling for ospedale. Sometimes you also see similar versions of the word when dialect creeps. In Sicilian records I've occasionally seen spitali, which is the Sicilian word for hospital.
That definitely makes sense and confirmed my suspicion. So very helpful!
One of the most fun things that I discovered in my research was finding my look alike ancestor, Prince Marino Caracciolo II. Don Marino descends from the Caracciolo Rossi family, one of the oldest families in Naples, that date back to 950 AD. He was born in Atripalda on 9-6-1587 and died in Naples o...