Gender on results is incorrect. Can it be corrected?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
njb

Gender on results is incorrect. Can it be corrected?

Post by njb »

I received an email response from the Civil Status office in Palermo informing me of their search results from my birth certificate request for my second great grandmother. Unfortunately, the gender is listed as "maschile" instead of "feminina". Can this be corrected?

Also, how can I request a legal copy of the birth certificate to be mailed to me?
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Gender on results is incorrect. Can it be corrected?

Post by Gags »

Hi NJB,

Not sure on the correction aspect of your question, but for the request, look in this forum for example request letters. I searched "sample letter" and got a bunch of hits.

For example:
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... gy-online/

I recently wrote to my hometown's comune and got a response along with my GGF's birth record in about 8 weeks. It did help that I've met the folks there during my wedding a couple years prior. Now I'm still awaiting two more docs from other towns.

(For the moderators, does this forum software have the capability to make threads "sticky" and stay at the top of the stack? Some of those sample letter threads might be good candidates...just a thought.)

Hope that helps!
njb

Re: Gender on results is incorrect. Can it be corrected?

Post by njb »

Thank you, Gags. I'm already in contact with the civil status office of Palermo and they responded to my request with the file attached. From what I understand, these are the results of the search, meaning the gender and name are incorrect (it should be Antonina, not Antonino).

I am also unsure if they actually searched for the birth certificate or simply pulled the information from the registry, as the information in the results is identical to what I already found and submitted from the registry (except for the gender).

How can I be sure the birth certificate is pulled and, if necessary, have the certificate corrected? I have Antonina's marriage and death certificates, both of which list the father's name (Pasquale Renna).
Attachments
RENNA ANTONINO_06122018_094453.pdf
(529.09 KiB) Downloaded 117 times