Partial Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Partial Translation

Post by Sasso »

I'm looking for some help translating the marriage certificate for Antonio Sasso. I'm struggling to read/translate the area around his parents information.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

It looks like his father, Pasquale, was a resident in San Martino. What is the written word before San Martino? It looks like it begins with a V.

His mother, Pasqualina Margaretta? was a resident in <unknown> Benevento. Is that correct?

Thank you
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Partial Translation

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The father is the "deceased" (fu) Pasquale who was a resident in San Martino in life (in vita)

The mother is "deceased" (fu) Pasqualina Magnatta who in life was resident in Benevento.

In vita = in life
fu = was - so meaning deceased

Angela
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

It says that his father, Pasquale (deceased) in life was a resident of San Martino. (residente in vita a San Martino.)

His mother, Pasqualina Magnotta, (deceased) in life was a resident of Benevento. (residente in vita a Benevento.)

(Edit) Angelagrace beat me to it.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

bbivona wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 04:42 It says that his father, Pasquale (deceased) in life was a resident of San Martino. (residente in vita a San Martino.)

His mother, Pasqualina Magnotta, (deceased) in life was a resident of Benevento. (residente in vita a Benevento.)

(Edit) Angelagrace beat me to it.
I was probably a little bit too quick. Re the mother's name, I think it probably is Magnotta, as you have it, although it looks more like Magnatta, but I don't think Magnatta appears in the area. Here's the marriage publication: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Angela
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

Thank you both for the help!

Angela, thank you for the marriage publication as well! Do you know if the large handwritten portion at the bottom has any significant information in it? I’m afraid my Italian is not that advanced.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Sasso wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 12:53 Thank you both for the help!

Angela, thank you for the marriage publication as well! Do you know if the large handwritten portion at the bottom has any significant information in it? I’m afraid my Italian is not that advanced.
Happy to help.

It's basically talking about the marriage attachments that were presented in order for the marriage to proceed:

The bride and groom's Birth Records from Garaguso and San Martino
The groom's father's Death Record from San Martino
The groom's mother's Death Record from Benevento
The bride's father's Death Record from Garaguso
It also says that Caterina Sabbatino, mother of the bride gave her consent for the marriage.

(The hand written section in the right column, below the dates of the marriage banns, doesn't relate specifically. It is the closing of the register.)

Angela
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

Brilliant! You’ve been extremely helpful.

Now I just have to figure out which San Martino they’re referencing 😂
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Since the groom's mother resided in Benevento at her death, perhaps the San Martino is the frazione of the town of Apice in Benevento Province. OR--- perhaps it is the Comune of San Martino Sannita, Benevento, Campania .

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Sasso wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 15:08 Brilliant! You’ve been extremely helpful.

Now I just have to figure out which San Martino they’re referencing 😂
They are talking about San Martino Valle Caudina which is in the province of Avellino.

Here is the 1885 Death Record of Pasquale Sasso Act No 136:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... =254475689

Edit to Add:
Here is the 1864 Birth Record of Antonio Sasso (right side)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Let me know if you need any help with the translations. I'll take a read through both these records later to see if they contain anything out of the ordinary and will get back to you if so.

Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great finds, Angela :-)

T.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

Amazing finds! It’ll take me a bit to translate them as i’m quite slow at it. Can’t wait to read them!

How did you find out what San Martino they were referencing? All I saw on the original document I posted was “San Martino” and there are tons of those.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Tessa78 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 20:46 Great finds, Angela :-)

T.
Thank you, T. :D

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Sasso wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 23:45 Amazing finds! It’ll take me a bit to translate them as i’m quite slow at it. Can’t wait to read them!

How did you find out what San Martino they were referencing? All I saw on the original document I posted was “San Martino” and there are tons of those.

After I had read your post and T's suggestions I went back and reread the pubblication. I remembered I'd read San Martino Valle Caudina somewhere, and at the time I assumed you knew which San Martino it was. This is why it's always good to find the marriage pubblication as well, as they often contain extra info.

Have a go at translating the records and then post them here and we can look over them for you and fill in any gaps.

Angela :)
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

Okay, here's my extremely rough translation of what I can read.

November 8, 1885. At the official civil office of the commune of San Martino Vella Caudina appeared Pasquale Juliani, 33, (don't know this word), of San Martino, and (Not sure of the name), 30, (don't know this word either), of the same commune to declare the death of Pasquale Sasso, (not sure of age), butcher, at four thirty in the afternoon. He lived in San Martino and was born in the same commune, son of Giuseppe, butcher, who also lived in San Martino, and Maria (Not sure of last name or next word) who lived in the previously mentioned commune; husband of Pasqualina Maranotta.

I know I missed a lot around the "nella casa posta" line. I think that might be an address, but I'm not sure.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Sasso wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 01:37 Okay, here's my extremely rough translation of what I can read.

November 8, 1885. At the official civil office of the commune of San Martino Vella Caudina appeared Pasquale Iuliani, 33, (possidente - landowner), of San Martino, and (Scipione Lanzotti), 30, (possidente), of the same commune to declare the death of Pasquale Sasso, (settanta - 70), butcher, at four thirty in the morning (stamane - I think this might be dialect for "this morning", we have a similar word in my dialect???). He lived in San Martino and was born in the same commune, son of deceased (fu) Giuseppe, butcher, who also lived in San Martino, and deceased (fu) Maria Lanzotti, contadina - peasant who lived in the previously mentioned commune; widower (vedovo) of Pasqualina Magnotta.

I know I missed a lot around the "nella casa posta" line. I think that might be an address, but I'm not sure.
He died in the house in Via Venti Settembre, No 66.

Going well.

Angela