Help! My parents were never married.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
angelini7ca
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Oct 2014, 19:31

Help! My parents were never married.

Post by angelini7ca »

Hi everyone, I need some guidance please. Wondering if anyone has experienced this? I am applying for JS GF-F-Me (Canadian). My dad is named on my birth certificate, but there is no MC, as my parents never married.. and my dad is deceased. Has anyone applied for JS via the paternal line, without a MC for their parents? Is there something else I can provide the consulate, such as my dads Will or?? :cry:

Thank you!
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Help! My parents were never married.

Post by mler »

Since yours is a paternal line, it’s a bit more difficult. Look for any documents which name you as your father’s daughter. Are you listed in his will as his daughter? Do you have any close relatives (uncle/aunt) who might attest to his paternity?

Marriage is not a requirement to pass citizenship, but you will need to provide as much documentation as you can find to prove the father-daughter connection.
angelini7ca
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Oct 2014, 19:31

Re: Help! My parents were never married.

Post by angelini7ca »

Thank you. I am named in his will. I will ask the consulate if they will accept this, before I try to locate it.
Post Reply