Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any Italian community in the Hanely area of Staffordshire in the 19th century.
Also does anyone knwo of any Italian variations of the name Dellicott/Dellicutt.
Thanks
Italians in Staffordshire UK
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
Hi Elizabeth
I have done quite a lot research in SOT for my husbands line but had not noticed any Italian community of any size. Do you live in the area?
Joy
I have done quite a lot research in SOT for my husbands line but had not noticed any Italian community of any size. Do you live in the area?
Joy
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
Hi Elizabeth..
I went to the Steve Morse site and plugged in the surname using sounds like many and this is what I got...
http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1
Hope it helps..
Nuccia
I went to the Steve Morse site and plugged in the surname using sounds like many and this is what I got...
http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1
Hope it helps..
Nuccia
- Elizabeth4033
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 22 Jul 2006, 00:00
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
Hi Joy, Thanks for the reply. No, I live in Wales but all my mums side of the family are from that area. Searching the 1871 census onwards I jave been able to find Italians in the area but as of yet not been able to tie them to my own family althnough I am sure that there is some Itslisn blood due to our very dark colouring.
I do have a marriage certificate of my Great grandparents and a couple of the witnesses might hold some clue. There is a William Dellicott (this surname is open to variation as he did not sign his name) and a Hannah Lancaster (there is a Lancsater family and a Hannah Lancaster in the 1871 census who was born in Italy).
I do have a marriage certificate of my Great grandparents and a couple of the witnesses might hold some clue. There is a William Dellicott (this surname is open to variation as he did not sign his name) and a Hannah Lancaster (there is a Lancsater family and a Hannah Lancaster in the 1871 census who was born in Italy).
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
Hi Elizabeth
I would think the 2 names you have given are English but of course some Italians changed their names to 'fit in' better.
Have you looked for your great grandparents births - also on the marriage certificate it would give their parents names. Do they sound Italian?
Do you have any info passed down in the family about Italian connections? If you have any elderly relatives question them - sometimes people forget things until you start to trigger their memory.
The main reference library in Bethedsa Street, Hanley, SOT has quite a lot of stuff useful for genealogy - might be worth dropping them a line. The county records office is in Eastgate Street, Stafford (or at least it was a few years ago!) they also could be very helpful to you.
Hope this helps.
Joy

I would think the 2 names you have given are English but of course some Italians changed their names to 'fit in' better.
Have you looked for your great grandparents births - also on the marriage certificate it would give their parents names. Do they sound Italian?
Do you have any info passed down in the family about Italian connections? If you have any elderly relatives question them - sometimes people forget things until you start to trigger their memory.
The main reference library in Bethedsa Street, Hanley, SOT has quite a lot of stuff useful for genealogy - might be worth dropping them a line. The county records office is in Eastgate Street, Stafford (or at least it was a few years ago!) they also could be very helpful to you.
Hope this helps.
Joy
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
I believe that the surname could be DELICATA...Elizabeth4033 wrote:Hi Joy, Thanks for the reply. No, I live in Wales but all my mums side of the family are from that area. Searching the 1871 census onwards I jave been able to find Italians in the area but as of yet not been able to tie them to my own family althnough I am sure that there is some Itslisn blood due to our very dark colouring.
I do have a marriage certificate of my Great grandparents and a couple of the witnesses might hold some clue. There is a William Dellicott (this surname is open to variation as he did not sign his name) and a Hannah Lancaster (there is a Lancsater family and a Hannah Lancaster in the 1871 census who was born in Italy).
however in 1881 Uk census:
-Margaret Dellicoutt abt 1828 America Wife West Bromwich Staffordshire
-William Dellicoutt abt 1866 Swan Village, Staffordshire, England, Son West Bromwich Staffordshire
-John Dellicoutt abt 1864 Swan Village, Staffordshire, England Son West Bromwich Staffordshire
- Mary Dellicoutt abt 1862 Swan Village, Staffordshire, England Daughter West Bromwich Staffordshire
- Mary Ann Dellicoutt abt 1877 Swan Village, Staffordshire, England Daughter West Bromwich Staffordshire
- Thomas Dellicoutt abt 1860 Swan Village, Staffordshire, England Son West Bromwich Staffordshire
it could be your ancestor?
1891:
William Dellicoatt abt 1866 location, Staffordshire, England info city
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
If DELICATA spelling is right as probable birthplace is some common in FROSINONE province( especially ATINA town) regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
- Elizabeth4033
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 22 Jul 2006, 00:00
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
Just wondering if William Delliccot was possibly William Delicata and came to the UK from Italy would there be immigration records in the UK that I could look at that might confirm this?
Re: Italians in Staffordshire UK
Hi Elizabeth,
Have only just joined this site and saw your messages for the first time this evening. I'm intrigued! My maiden name was "DELICATE". For the past thirty five years, my father and I have been conducting a one name study into the surname and all its variants [including DELLICOTT & DELICATA]. I have come across the William Dellicott/Dellicoatt referred to in your messages. As far as I am aware, he was not Italian; I've traced his branch back to the early 1800s in Trowbridge, Wiltshire - the family eventually migrated to West Bromwich, Staffordshire circa 1830-1835. However, I am also aware of a family of DELICATAs that were living in Hanley, near Stoke from the 1890s. They were of Italian origin. Do you still think there may be a connection between your family and the DELICATAs? If so, I'd love to hear from you!
Happy to discuss!
Regards,
Sue
Have only just joined this site and saw your messages for the first time this evening. I'm intrigued! My maiden name was "DELICATE". For the past thirty five years, my father and I have been conducting a one name study into the surname and all its variants [including DELLICOTT & DELICATA]. I have come across the William Dellicott/Dellicoatt referred to in your messages. As far as I am aware, he was not Italian; I've traced his branch back to the early 1800s in Trowbridge, Wiltshire - the family eventually migrated to West Bromwich, Staffordshire circa 1830-1835. However, I am also aware of a family of DELICATAs that were living in Hanley, near Stoke from the 1890s. They were of Italian origin. Do you still think there may be a connection between your family and the DELICATAs? If so, I'd love to hear from you!
Happy to discuss!
Regards,
Sue



