Different names in civil registry Vs church records

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
barbeta
Rookie
Rookie

Different names in civil registry Vs church records

Post by barbeta »

Hi everyone,
So, as I was digging on the church baptism records on Troina, Sicily, I found something that got my attention:

I was researching Alfio Barbagallo (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/G8WH-ST6) I've found that:
  • Born on 6-dec-1864
  • On the baptism record (image 1 below) the father shows up as Josephi Barbagallo
  • On the Atto di Nascita (image 2 below) the father shows up as Giuseppe Barbagallo
  • In both records, the mother is Lucia Messina
Until here, nothing strange, as we know that in church records they used the latin/biblical version of the names (Josephi = Giuseppe)

Alfio Barbagallo Baptism record (image 1):
Alfio Barbagallo - Baptism record n1523.jpg
Alfio Barbagallo Atto di Nascita (image 2):
Alfio Barbagallo - Atto di Nascita record.jpg

But look what I've found in his brother's record... Salvadore (Salvatore?) Barbagallo (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/G9Z2-8ZH)
  • Born on 31-mar-1858
  • On the baptism record (image 3 below) the father shows up as Josephi Barbagallo
  • On the Atto di Nascita (image in post below) the father shows up as Silvestro Barbagallo
  • In both records, the mother is Lucia Messina
Salvatore Barbagallo baptism record (image 3):
Salvatore Barbagallo - Baptism record n542.jpg

So, the father has a different name in both acts (civil registry vs church), and we know that is the same person for both children.
The options that I'm considering are:
- His full name was "Giuseppe Silvestro Barbagallo" or "Silvestro Giuseppe Barbagallo"
and/or
- There was a costume to have a "church" name (biblical name) for everything related to religious matters, and a civil name, and they used to use the church name as the usual one in the day-to-day life

any thoughts on this one?
Has anyone found something similar?

thanks!
barbeta
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Different names in civil registry Vs church records

Post by barbeta »

Salvatore Barbagallo Atto di Nascita (image 4):
Salvadore Barbagallo - Atto di Nascita record .jpg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In 1858 Silvestro Barbagallo was 30yo and Lucia Messina was 22
in 1864 Giuseppe Barbagallo was 44 and Lucia Messina was 33
To me they are different persons
barbeta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by barbeta »

liviomoreno wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 19:23 In 1858 Silvestro Barbagallo was 30yo and Lucia Messina was 22
in 1864 Giuseppe Barbagallo was 44 and Lucia Messina was 33
To me they are different persons

that's a valid point and I don't know how I didn't saw it before! thanks!

What do you think about the different name of the father on the Salvatore child?