Finding commune of S. Martino

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Finding commune of S. Martino

Post by deigo1 »

Hello,

I'm trying to locate an Italian city of my great grandfather's birth. Everything I've found from draft cards to ellis Island lists, he (Frank Sartore born 1885) lists it as S. Martino. We've found his brother Antonio's arrival at Ellis Island and it lists the same. Both do list their race as Northern Italian. Antonio's wife (Elvira) shows as his "Italy" contact on the Ellis Island list, with again S. Martino as the city. Frank (Francesco) lists his father (Giovanni) as the in country contact with the S. Martino. We do know that Frank's wife was from Trevignano. The only other clue is on Frank's one arrival at Ellis Island it states his residence as S. Martino, but birth in Terignano. I put together a picture of that captured the details above.

Thank you,
D.
Attachments
Frank Sartore.png
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Finding commune of S. Martino

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

My thinking is that "Terignano" is a mis-spelling of Trevignano and that he was born there. Most probably this town here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevignano

A little north east of Trevignano is a placed called San Martino, so that may be the place at which the family later resided.

Angela
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Thank you for the help Angela. I've sent an email to the commune to ask for the birth certificate. I have an official copy of his wife's from Trevignano (from Treviso officially), so I could decipher who the town official was. Fingers crossed! I will post back...

Thanks!
D.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Great! All the best with that.

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

@Angelagrace56

Francesco Sartore è nato a San Martino di Lupari (Padova) il 4 gennaio 1885.

Dalla Lista di leva di Padova
https://archiviodistato.provincia.padov ... nsulta.php
Cognome Nome Num. lista Data di Nascita Località Nascita Provincia Anno Comune Iscrizione Mandamento Padre Madre
SARTORE Francesco 238,00 04/01/1885 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI PD 1885 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI CITTADELLA Giovanni

SARTORE Antonio 285,00 09/02/1887 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI PD 1887 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI CITTADELLA Giovanni

Atto di nascita di Francesco SARTORE, n.166 del 24.07.1885.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946877
Luogo di nascita: San Martino di Lupari (Padova), via Minotte 54.
Data di nascita: 04.01.1885.
Padre: Giovanni, 36 anni, villico.
Madre: Maria Andretta, villica.
Nota: dichiarazione tardiva, autorizzata con sentenza del Tribunale di Padova del 06.07.1885.

Comune di San Martino di Lupari
Largo Europa, 5
35018, San Martino di Lupari (PD)
Servizi demografici
Responsabile: Tomasi Patrizia
Telefono: 049.9460408 int 1
E-mail: anagrafe@comune.sanmartinodilupari.pd.it
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

@mmogno

Brilliant!!! Great finds, as usual.

Angela :)
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Angela & mmogno -

You folks are truly amazing. I can't thank you enough, and I can't probably even being to tell you how many hours upon hours I've spent looking for this.

I've never seen anything like the last family search document linked, almost like it's own little birth certificate document? Is the information in it the same as in the actual book (the first family link document)?

The first link, I'm not familiar with that site, what exactly is that?

Sorry for the questions trying to expand my search knowledge...thanks again D.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

deigo1 wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 03:16 I've never seen anything like the last family search document linked, almost like it's own little birth certificate document? Is the information in it the same as in the actual book (the first family link document)?
Registration should have been done within 10 days of the baby's birth. If, for some reason, it has not been done within the prescribed period, the competent Court must authorize the registrar's official to accept it. The second link on FS is the relative sentence presented by the declarant to the town official.

The first link, I'm not familiar with that site, what exactly is that?
Military draft list for Padova.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Thank you, is there anyway to see the mother's name of Antonio from the military records? Of course the 1 year (1887) of birth isn't showing for the commune. I was curious to see if the mother's name were the same as I could not find a marriage certificate for Giovanni and Maria Andretta.

Thank you!
D.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

deigo1 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 02:42 Thank you, is there anyway to see the mother's name of Antonio from the military records?
You could ask the State Archives of Padua (as-pd@beniculturali.it) for a copy of the Lista di Leva and the Ruolo Matricolare of Antonio SARTORE, born in San Martino di Lupari (Padua) on 09/02/1887, list number 238.
https://www.aspd.beniculturali.it/ricerchegenealogiche/
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

deigo1 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 02:42 Thank you, is there anyway to see the mother's name of Antonio from the military records? Of course the 1 year (1887) of birth isn't showing for the commune. I was curious to see if the mother's name were the same as I could not find a marriage certificate for Giovanni and Maria Andretta.

Thank you!
D.

Here it is. It was in the wrong place, amongst the dead.

Birth No 27: Antonio Luigi Sartore

Side Note: 2 February 1913, marries with Elvira Antonello in S. Martino di Lupari (No 11)

Birth registered San Martino di Lupari, 11 February 1887
Parents: Giovanni Sartore, 37 yo, villico, and Maria Andretta, his wife, living with him.
Baby boy was born on 9 February 1887, 1.22 pm, in the house in Via Supervilla, No 54, was presented to the official and given the name Antonio Luigi.

Angela
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Wow, great find...thank you!

Question so I have the parents name now for Francesco, but I can't find the marriage certificate of the parents in what is online to understand the previous generation of names. I believe the parents died after 1910, which is the last entry for morti on family search, as I know on the 1912 arrival at ellis the father (Giovanni) was still listed as the in country contact in San Martino. Given I have exact info on the two son's did the commune maintain a family list, that if I asked them for death certificates on the parents (with the known info) how would they respond? Looking for experience as to not upset the focal in the commune :)

Thanks!
D.
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

No response from the Commune, yet. I've done some more searching and I think I've found some additional children for Giovanni Sartore and Maria Andretta. Could someone help with these translations, some of the names I was having trouble figuring out and not sure if they are male or female (like Ambiele)? I did see some notations, I'm assuming these are probably more in relation to the person than their parents.

1888 #175 - (Guiditta) ?

1893 #106 - (Pietro)

1895 #189 (Ambiele?)

1897 #143 (Carlo)

Thank you for your help,
D.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Birth No 175 Giuditta Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari, 25 September 1888
Appearing was Giovanni Sartore, 40 yo, villico (tenant farmer), living this town, who reported that at 4.02 pm, on 23 of the current month, in the house in Via Supervilla?, No 54, from Maria Andretta, a villica, his wife, living with him, was born a baby girl who he presented and named Giuditta.
Side Note: On 18 February 1914 marriage was celebrated with Giulio Reffo in the town of S. Martino di Lupo. (Act No 6)

Birth No 106 Pietro Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari, 26 May 1893
Giovanni Sartore, 44 yo, villico, living this town, reported that at 10.04 pm on 23 of the current month, in the house in Via Supervilla, No 54, from Maria Andretta, a villica, his wife, living with him, was born a baby boy who presented and gave the name Pietro.
Side Note: On 26 March 1920 he celebrated marriage with Adele Favero in the town of ?

1895 Birth No 189 Amabile Maria Sartore - registered 14 October 1895 San Martino di Lupari, born San Martino di Lupari, 10.08 pm, 10 October 1895, Via Supervilla, No 54, to Giovanni Sartore, 47 yo, tenant farmer, and his wife Maria Andretta. The baby girl was presented and given the name Amabile Maria.

1897 Birth No 143 Carlo Sartore – registered 21 July 1897, San Martino di Lupari, born San Martino di Lupari, 11.04 pm, 18 July 1897, Via Supervilla, No 54, from Giovanni Sartore, 49 yo, villico (tenant farmer), living in the town, and from Maria Andretta, a tenant farmer, his wife, living with him. The baby boy was presented and given the name Carlo.

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 23:25 .....
Birth No 106 Pietro Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari, 26 May 1893
Giovanni Sartore, 44 yo, villico, living this town, reported that at 10.04 pm on 23 of the current month, in the house in Via Supervilla (now via Roma), No 54, from Maria Andretta, a villica, his wife, living with him, was born a baby boy who presented and gave the name Pietro.
Side Note: On 26 March 1920 he celebrated marriage with Adele Favero in the town of Castello di Godego

Angela