Foundling birth recor

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
diffield

Foundling birth recor

Post by diffield »

Please help with translating part of this foundling's birth record. I have managed the bulk of it with its clear handwriting, but am struggling to make sense of the marked passages.
Attachments
Maria Santini birth 1869.jpg
diffield

Re: Foundling birth record

Post by diffield »

I have been persevering with my own attempts, as shown below, but would appreciate help with knowing of any mistakes, the meaning of "una competente Catia" and the general sense of the context and equivalent idiomatic English.

Thank you for your time.

1st section
the surname of Santini, and all the articles that are found, are
il cognome di Santini, e gli oggetti tutti, che gli son trovati, sono

(to be) left the same, that are properly entrusted to the Receiver
si lasciati almedesimo, che provvipriamente si affida alla Ricevitrice

of foundlings of this Comune, except to provide for a (competente Catia?)
di proietti di questo Comune, salvo a provvedere per una competente Catia

2nd section
Read this act to all those involved, it comes to me and to the witnesses
Lette il presente atto a tutti gl’ intervenuti, viene da me edai testimoni

undersigned, having alleged the declarant (the Recoverer of foundlings) to be illiterate.
sottoscritto, avendo asserita la dichiarante essere illetterata.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

diffield wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 00:42 I have been persevering with my own attempts, as shown below, but would appreciate help with knowing of any mistakes, the meaning of "una competente Catia" and the general sense of the context and equivalent idiomatic English.

Thank you for your time.

1st section

(to be) left the same, that are temporarily entrusted to the Receiver
si lasciati almedesimo, cheprovvisoriamente si affida alla Ricevitrice

of foundlings of this Comune, except to provide for a competent wet nurse
di proietti di questo Comune, salvo a provvedere per una competente Catia

2nd section
Read this act to all those involved, iis undersigned by me and by the witnesses undersigned, having alleged the declarant (the Recoverer of foundlings) to be illiterate.

Letto il presente atto a tutti gl’ intervenuti, viene da me e dai testimoni sottoscritto, avendo asserita la dichiarante essere illetterata.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

liviomoreno wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 09:15
diffield wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 00:42 I have been persevering with my own attempts, as shown below, but would appreciate help with knowing of any mistakes, the meaning of "una competente Catia" and the general sense of the context and equivalent idiomatic English.

Thank you for your time.

1st section

(to be) left the same, that are temporarily entrusted to the Receiver
si lasciati almedesimo, cheprovvisoriamente si affida alla Ricevitrice

of foundlings of this Comune, except to provide for a competent wet nurse
di proietti di questo Comune, salvo a provvedere per una competente balia

2nd section
Read this act to all those involved, iis undersigned by me and by the witnesses undersigned, having alleged the declarant (the Recoverer of foundlings) to be illiterate.

Letto il presente atto a tutti gl’ intervenuti, viene da me e dai testimoni sottoscritto, avendo asserita la dichiarante essere illetterata.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Foundling birth recor

Post by erudita74 »

I’m surprised to see “ al medesimo “ written as one word instead of as two separate words.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

erudita74 wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 02:58 I’m surprised to see “ al medesimo “ written as one word instead of as two separate words.
@erudita74
Credo che sia un equivoco, dovuto al modo di scrivere del segretario.
Altre coppie di parole sono unite "cheprovvisoriamente", "aprovvedere", "peruna" ...
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

G,
I have actually seen this before in other documents, so I shouldn’t have said that seeing it here surprised me. I was just wondering if there was a definitive reason why some records were written in such a manner (since I’m not a native speaker of the Italian language), but I gather from your explanation the answer is no. It was just the manner in which some secretaries or officials chose to write the documents. Yes,I did notice that there were other examples in this particular record. Anyway, I always appreciate your thoughts and insights.
Erudita