A heartfelt thank you, VJ...a while back I posted that I needed some opinions reading a name on a ship's manifest and you looked at it for me and thought it said *Ricca*
You also said that both Bosco and Ricca surnames occur in the province of Agrigento.
Anyway, because of that info I searched on the internet and found a website that has a database of info from Sicily and some of the comunes/provinces. There was a separate website that had some of the birth records partially transcribed in Agrigento and long story short....I am fairly certain that I have found my great grandparents marriage record and the birth record of one of their children! The best part of all of this is the marriage document lists my great grandparent's parent's names.
The person I emailed found the documents, made me a copy and then transcribed the info in English for me...none of this would of been possible if NOT FOR YOU, VJ! Your suggestion about Agrigento was right on the money
My great great grandparents names are very difficult to make out...the copy is dark in that section of the document but I am hoping that the person that did the translation for me has lots of experience reading these things
One question I do have is that on the marriage record translation the name of my great great grandmother is: Anna Gonernale. I have looked and looked at this and just don't think that's what it says. I went back and found the Ellis Island manifest and Rose Ricca (my great grandmother) and her two daughters are listed. The kids traveled under the name of their father (Bosco) BUT further up the page is the name of Anna Governale!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could that possibly be my great great grandmother and that she traveled with her daughter, Rose Ricca and the two kids? If so, was it common that they were not listed as traveling together? The fact that she is further up the list does that mean she wasn't standing with them when they boarded? Or does that even make a difference?
I know this post is long...again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, VJ.
Lib

