Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
- BrooklynGene
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 19:42
Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Calogero Fradella was my greatgrandfather born in 1854 in Porto Empedocle, Sicily. He came to NYC with his wife Carmela Paxhia in 1914. I know that he had several siblings a sister named Giovanna (never came to America) and sisters Michelina and Carmela who did come to the US. I know there were other siblings but don't know their names or anything about them. They very well could have remained in Porto Empedocle. It would really great if someone had info on this. They lived at 63 Bayard St, which was then Little Italy, now Chinatown.
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
I don't know if this will help, but here is a link to an NYC brides index. Maybe Michelina and/or Carmella got married! You don't mention when M & C came to the US, but I assume it was 1914 or so.
http://www.italiangen.org/NYCBrides.stm
You could also write to Porto Empedocle and ask for birth & marriage certificates of Giovanna. With that information you maybe could track her children.
Good luck! Peg
http://www.italiangen.org/NYCBrides.stm
You could also write to Porto Empedocle and ask for birth & marriage certificates of Giovanna. With that information you maybe could track her children.
Good luck! Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
- BrooklynGene
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 19:42
Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Peg:
Thanks so much for the link. I'm just getting into the research end after exhausting the knowledge of family members. So these sources are definitely helpful. Do you know how to get into the US Census data for 1910? Were there censuses taken in 1900?
Thanks much for any further info you can provide.
Gene
Thanks so much for the link. I'm just getting into the research end after exhausting the knowledge of family members. So these sources are definitely helpful. Do you know how to get into the US Census data for 1910? Were there censuses taken in 1900?
Thanks much for any further info you can provide.
Gene
- apfradella
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 00:55
Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Calogero's siblings are : Carmela, Francesco,Giovannina,Antonio and Michelina. Calogero was my paternal grandmother's father. my grandmother was Vincenza who also married her first cousin, Calogero Fradella and had 5 children: yola, sadie, al, tony and Sal(my dad).
- apfradella
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 00:55
Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Brooklyngene. you mention that calogero was married to carmela Paxhia. I have that carmela's name was Pacchesia, very close to Paxhia. What makes this interesting is that carmela and calogero's daughter, Assunta, married a man named Pietro Paxhia, which may mean another marriage of cousins. If you can, instead of posting, drop me a line at apfradella@aol.com
Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Do you know how to get into the US Census data for 1910?
Were there censuses taken in 1900?
There are US census records every 10yrs from 1790 -1930
available on ancestry.com by subscription.
Only 1880 can be viewed for free.
Many of us also have access to the US census on HeritageQuest
at home. Check your local library, it may be possible for you
to sign up for home access.
Most libraries offer free access to ancestry.com (library version)
and HeritageQuest at their locations.
Were there censuses taken in 1900?
There are US census records every 10yrs from 1790 -1930
available on ancestry.com by subscription.
Only 1880 can be viewed for free.
Many of us also have access to the US census on HeritageQuest
at home. Check your local library, it may be possible for you
to sign up for home access.
Most libraries offer free access to ancestry.com (library version)
and HeritageQuest at their locations.
Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Hi,
it's only a little suggestion but, as I red the 1914 arrival manifest for Calogero and wife Carmela, I think Carmela's last name is PASCHIA.
Hope this can help.
Laura
it's only a little suggestion but, as I red the 1914 arrival manifest for Calogero and wife Carmela, I think Carmela's last name is PASCHIA.
Hope this can help.
Laura
- BrooklynGene
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 19:42
Re: Looking for siblings of Calogero Fradella
Thanks, I had already checked the Ellis Island registry. I believe the name is as I have it. I have found many errors in the Ellis Island info with regard to spelling of names that I know and place of origin.
Thanks for the reply,
Gene
Thanks for the reply,
Gene
