Surname Damms

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
taranchoola

Surname Damms

Post by taranchoola »

Hi all,
I would be most grateful if anyone could help me find any information on the surname Damms.
I have searched the internet but to no avail and although I will be visiting my City Library this week I am at a loss where to start as the information I have been given about my ancestors is quite thin.

What I have been told so far is My GT.GT Grandparents came over to live in Birmingham, England around the turn of the 20th Century. They settled down in the 'Italian Quarter' which is known as Bella Brum and lived on Upper Trinity Street.
From what I have been told they came from Rome near the Vatican City and their names are George and Gracie/Gracey Damms.
I can find nothing on the surname at all and being a novice I keep hitting walls.
Any information at all on the surname would be very much appreciated.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Surname Damms

Post by johnlabarbera »

I have Demma in my family but not Damms are you sure about spelling?
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

http://www.familysearch.org/

try this free website great for beginners
taranchoola

Post by taranchoola »

Thanks for replying John, I have saved that link to my favourites.
I managed to find my grandads birth details online and his mother is definatley on it as Damms (although he was sure it was Dammes) it was his grandparents that came over from Italy.
Looking on that site you gave me and another I have come across I have found there were quite a few Damms in the area my Ancestors lived, I found a George Damms whose birthdate would fit in but the rest of the household didn't, neither did his birthplace.
That is all I have managed to find so far.
Thanks once again.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

I am also a member of www.ancestry.com and it has been very helpful to me, but you do have to subscribe to it....it is possible to find addtional info there and more importantly also find others who are researching the same surname..
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here are 2 sites that will show you where the name exists in Italy.
http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=
taranchoola

Post by taranchoola »

I've just had a look and they are doing a free trial so I may take advantage of that, thankyou.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Sometimes you can insert your surname and see if anything pops up from the Italian White Pages...then call or write those who have the same surname in the area you are looking at.

I tried Damms and no one shows up... also Dammes....zero results...
taranchoola

Post by taranchoola »

Sorry Misbris your post wasn't there when I was typing out my last one, thankyou very much I'm going to have a good look at the links now.
taranchoola

Post by taranchoola »

After hours of searching for the names my Grandad gave me it seems he didn't give me all the info he knew (grrr).
After speaking to him today he has told me that the names I have mentioned in my first post were their English versions, he has an idea of what there Italian names are but being as old as he is his memory isn't as ripe as it was.
The information I now have still isn't enough to help my search so I am hoping someone can still help me.
The surname is now something I am really stuck on, he knows how it is pronounce but not how it is spelt, from what he said it sounds like "Damease" - I have done a search for various ways of spelling how it sounds and came up with "Damis" (from the White pages link above), there are 2 Damis within the vicinity of the Vatican in Rome - could I be on the right track ?
George was the English name given, I have found out my Gt Gt Grandad's Italian name was Giorgio and my Gt Gt Grandmother was Grazia.
Apart from the White Pages that is it, I am hitting walls again.
What confuses me even more is my Grandads birth details lists his mothers maiden name as the English version of Damms.
Any advice would be much appreciated on how to go about my search.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

taranchoola wrote:Hi all,
I would be most grateful if anyone could help me find any information on the surname Damms.
I have searched the internet but to no avail and although I will be visiting my City Library this week I am at a loss where to start as the information I have been given about my ancestors is quite thin.

What I have been told so far is My GT.GT Grandparents came over to live in Birmingham, England around the turn of the 20th Century. They settled down in the 'Italian Quarter' which is known as Bella Brum and lived on Upper Trinity Street.
From what I have been told they came from Rome near the Vatican City and their names are George and Gracie/Gracey Damms.
I can find nothing on the surname at all and being a novice I keep hitting walls.
Any information at all on the surname would be very much appreciated.
In Italy exist DAMIS and DAMS (1 M)... also in Roma area.... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH