Altwirg

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Altwirg

Post by zanna »

http://www.suedtiroler-unterland.it/web ... ch_map.pdf
Can anyone tell me what this place is? Is it a comune, a mountain or something else?
On the map it is just above 29, 20 on the road to Penone.
Reason for my interest is that on a microfiche for g.grandfathers naturalisation is says' Twirg' for the place he was from.This has been a huge mystery as on the copy of the document itself it says Town of Tyrol.This is the only time I have ever seen any place name similar to Twirg, so I am hoping!!
John Frank Christina/ Giovanni Francesco Cristina o De Cristina/ Johann Francesco Cristina o De Cristina born 18 November 1848 in Trento, Tyrol, Austria

Zanna
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Altwirg

Post by Squigy »

This site is for Italian Genealogy, you're looking for a place in Austria. Here is an Austrian genealogy board: http://genforum.genealogy.com/austria/
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

Isn't Bolzano in Trentino Alto Adige? Northern Italy?
It was in the past part of Austro Hungarian Empire but now is Italy.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

zanna wrote:Isn't Bolzano in Trentino Alto Adige? Northern Italy?
It was in the past part of Austro Hungarian Empire but now is Italy.
I'm sorry, I'm confused. I thought you were looking for Tyrol Austria. You didn't mention Bolzano.
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

That's okay, I should have been more specific.

Zanna :D
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

zanna wrote:That's okay, I should have been more specific.

Zanna :D
So are you looking for a place called Altwirg? If so, I've never heard of it, nor can I find anything about Twirg or Altwirg on the internet.
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

The place Altwirg is on the map I put the link up for.
It could be a german word for the topograhpy of the area??
When I saw the word on the michrofiche years ago I thought it was a transcribers error, still likely. But when I saw something so similar on the map well I started to think well maybe it is a place afterall. Back in 1848 a lot of place names may have been different to now.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

zanna wrote:The place Altwirg is on the map I put the link up for.
It could be a german word for the topograhpy of the area??
When I saw the word on the michrofiche years ago I thought it was a transcribers error, still likely. But when I saw something so similar on the map well I started to think well maybe it is a place afterall. Back in 1848 a lot of place names may have been different to now.
I'm guessing this is the same place. Tirol and Kurtatsch are close by each other. However, I still can't find anything on it. I would ignore this, and look for records and other things from Tirol.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

www.gemeinde.kurtatsch.bz.it is a website for Cortaccia (Kurtatsch) and you can send an e-mail to info@comune.Cortaccia.bz.it and when the website above is brought up in German Twig is the lead name and when you click on Italiano translation you come up with Cortaccio so they are no doubt connected closely.

If you go to www.nonsolocap.it for the zip code, and province for Cortaccia (Kurtatsch) the German name Kurtatsch will show up in lieu of Cortaccia.......this is the work of the devil guys!!!!! =Peter=
~Peter~
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

Peter
Interesting, but for the life of me I cannot see Twig in the lead name on that site when I bring it up in German or have I got the wrong end of the stick. :D Can you tell me exactly where it is please?
Zanna
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

just a bit:
I believe that Twirg is wrong... your ancestor sure was born in Trento area.. near Romallo, Cloz, Revo or some common in this area.. because Luchi surname is present in this area from so long time.. in this file you can read the names of all commons in italian spell as a well in tyrol spell and more

http://www.laliberacompagnia.org/_files ... entino.pdf
and Twirg it is not... so, it is a wrong spell in some way...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

Very helpful and a very interesting and useful link,Suanj.

Thanks Zanna
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hi, did you write to Claudio andreolli at Archive Diocesis of Trento?
they have the complete database
bye Riccardo
zanna
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zanna »

Hi Riccardo,
I have written to Claudio Andreolli and all the comune di Cortina in Trento and Bolzano but have recieved no replies except in one case acknowledgement of my email sometime ago.
I wish to write to Trento also to ask for records of Giovanni's mother Santa Luchi maybe death record and baptism.Can you please translate a letter into Italian for me Riccardo? Maybe this will give me a better lead.I will post it in translation soon.

Bye for now Zanna :D
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

yes let's request the marriage certificate of santa luchi, also her birth record, if you know the dates
bye riccardo