Help me find my family - Guglielmini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Zara

Help me find my family - Guglielmini

Post by Zara »

Through my web searches I've found this forum and I hope that you all could help in any way to find my lost familiy.
I'm living in Zadar, Croatia and story of my family goes like this:

My grandfather was Domenico Guglielmini, I don't know his birth date, he lived in Firenze with his family and he was a doctor. His father's name was Guglielmo and mother's was Itala (she was from Sicilia, last name Tacconi maybe) and he had a sister named Melani. In World war II he was a doctor, on german side, and he was sent to Croatia. There he met my grandmother and they had married. After that they had my father and when he was only one month old, my grandfather dissapeared. He was called on some mission and he had never returned. It was in 1945. My grandmother says that she looked for him everywhere, but she couldn't find anything. She talks very little about him and his family because she says that his family never really accepted her, they were against their marriage.
Now I would like to find out do I have any familiy, is my grandfather allive, did he left my grandmother and my father and started a new family?
Please, help me.

Edit: could I find somewhere informations about grandfather joining the army? Or informations about killed or missing people in World War II?
Zara

Re: Help me find my family - Guglielmini

Post by Zara »

I have found a marriage certificate so I have new informations.

My grandfather Domenico was born on 21.02.1915. in Catania Sicily. His father's name was Gulielmo (not Guglielmo) and mother was Italia (not Itala) Tacconi. Later they came to Firenze. I don't know when.

Domenico married my grandmother on 30.07.1945. in Zagreb (Zagabria) Croatia, but my father was born on 09.02.1945. also in Zagreb.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Zara, you may request his military record to Catania State Archive and or ask for any informations about him to International Red Cross.
It is just a suggestion
bye Riccardo
Zara

Post by Zara »

International Red Cross looked for him 7 or 8 times during 1946., 1947, and 1948.
He was born in Catania but they later lived in Firenze. My father mentioned that his family was a very good friend with Giusseppe Massucci who was a priest on a high position in Vatican, and that man came to Zagreb when my father was born, 1945., to baptise him.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Since 1948, many things changed, maybe now international red cross should have more proof about what happened to him, about where it would be buried.
This is Catania State Archive web site, there it is kept his military record

http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... me=CATANIA

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

if Catania State Archive has not it, then you can request it to Firenze State Archive, since he was a resident in Tuscany

http://www.archiviodistato.firenze.it/nuovosito/

bye Riccardo
Zara

Post by Zara »

Suanj gave me the adress of Ufficio stato Civile in Catania and Firenze where I will send my request for all infos (stato civile). I looked these pages of State archives in Catania and Firenze and I didn't find anything. I don't know how to acess documents or maybe it is not possible. I don't know where to look for his military records.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Catania and Firenze State Archive have the second copy of civil records, so you just send a request via email, they will reply you, or take the suggestion of suanj, it is the same
bye Riccardo
Zara

Post by Zara »

Thank you ricbru, I've tryed to send an e-mail to Stato Civile in Catania and Firenze but on their pages I saw that private persons have to send request, not by e-mail, so I will do it in old fashioned way.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

the old fashion way always works.
attach to your request written in italian an envelope + international reply coupon (so stato civile will reply easily, since there are not costs from its pocket) + copy of your id
Happy to help you
bye Riccardo
Zara

Post by Zara »

I'm sorry but what is international reply coupon?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

an international reply coupon (IRC) is a coupon you buy at your local post office, and it used to buy postage abroad.
For example you live in the USA and you need to request a document from Italy.
Since you are not sure italy replies to you, and you can not buy italian stamps in your own country, you let italian people buy italian stamps (using that IRC) so they can reply to you with no costs.
I hope I was clear
bye Riccardo
Zara

Post by Zara »

Yes, you're clear :D

Thanks
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

www.paginebianche.it Italian white pages
cognome: Guglelmini dove: CT
cognome: Taccone dove: Sicilia

Tacconi in other parts of Italy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Zara

If you would prefer to use stamps, you may see this page:

http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy. ... index.html

With all the problems we have heard about IRC we began offering this free service and so far its worked very well for many. Email Carole and she will provide all the the details - and again she offers it as a FREE service.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database