Libonati & Lospinoso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gavin

Libonati & Lospinoso

Post by gavin »

Hi!
Francesco Libonati & Christina, nee Lospinoso were the parents of my great grand father Thomaso Libonati who was born on 10th January 1860 & baptised on the 21st January in the Church of Mary of the Assumption, in I think Montemurro, (I have identified the towns name by the parish priest's seal) so it appears they were from the Basilicata region. I,m looking for information on Francesco & Christina. My next step is the Morman Church records but meanwhile I was hoping someone out there might be researching similar names & therefore could help. Any advise will be appreciated.
Cheers!
Gavin.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Libonati & Lospinoso

Post by ptimber »

If you go to www.google.com and put in the tile the surname and the word genealogy, a listing of research on the surname will appear and may prove helpful. Short of that The only other place for records, as you know is Montemurro Ufficio di Stato Civile and military records in Potenza. Peter
gavin

Post by gavin »

Thanks Peter, been there
Gavin
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are only about 30 Lo Spinoso surnames in the USA? Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

gavin wrote:Hi!
Francesco Libonati & Christina, nee Lospinoso were the parents of my great grand father Thomaso Libonati who was born on 10th January 1860 & baptised on the 21st January in the Church of Mary of the Assumption, in I think Montemurro, (I have identified the towns name by the parish priest's seal) so it appears they were from the Basilicata region. I,m looking for information on Francesco & Christina. My next step is the Morman Church records but meanwhile I was hoping someone out there might be researching similar names & therefore could help. Any advise will be appreciated.
Cheers!
Gavin.
Hi Gavin, I've read your private message for me.. In Montemurro not living , currently, nobody Lospinoso and Libonati persons.. More, on familysearch are an record strange.. an Vittoria Libonati born in 1845/Montemurro/Potenza have Father: Francesco Libonati and mother Cristina La Spinoza(probable La Spinosa or Laspinosa or Lospinoso).. more on ellis island are an Tommaso Libonati age 21 in 1920 and this record not is of your ancestor sure!! but are this record in Italy:
Cognome
LIBONATI

Nome
TOMMASO

Professione
PEASANT

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
BURGUNDIA

Data d'arrivo
6/21/1887

only age not are probable.. This Tommaso are in travel with an daughter Anna age ...someone month..very child.. and with:
Cognome
LIBONATI

Nome
ANGELA

Età=age

Sesso=gender
F

Professione
WIFE
Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
BURGUNDIA

Data d'arrivo
6/21/1887

----------------
are someone persons in the world that researching your same surname(Libonati /Lospinoso) I think are good idea to contact http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Aren ... chers.html
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/IT ... 1086348601
..Sandra Dias are always you???
Sure Libonati surname are very ancient presence in Montemurro town(very little village), in fact are an Nicolò and Giuseppe Libonati in Catasto Onciario 1753 year (sale house and land )http://utenti.lycos.it/sassone/Archivio ... o1753.html

For record baptism church, sure the italian name are "Chiesa Matrice di S. Maria Assunta e Convento" http://www.basilicata.cc/paesi_taddeo/t ... 652_01.htm
I think an good first step are send an email on website Montemurro mailto: taddeo@basilicata.cc and you copy this italian txt:

Salve, scrivo dagli USA(? or...Hong Kong?) e mi chiamo... (your name). Sono discendente di Tommaso Libonati, nato a Montemurro il 10 Gennaio 1860 e battezzato il giorno dopo presso la Chiesa Matrice di S. Maria Assunta e Convento". Tommaso Libonati era figlio di Francesco e Cristina Lospinoso. Scrivo per chiedere aiuto a voi, non sapendo a chi rivolgermi, desiderando sapere notizie sui familiari del mio antenato Tommaso Libonati, sui suoi genitori e se vi sono discendenti diretti o collaterali viventi a Montemurro.
Spero molto in un vostro aiuto, per me conoscere questo è molto importante. Potreste pubblicare questo messaggio sul portale di Montemurro ed aiutarmi nella mia ricerca, soprattutto conoscere la data di nascita di Francesco Libonati e Cristina Lospinoso, come anche la data del loro matrimonio, al fine di richiedere un Foglio storico di famiglia al Comune..
Confido nel vostro interesse. Qualsiasi aiuto sarà grande per me.. Aspetto una vostra risposta o una risposta di qualcuno che mi possa aiutare a Montemurro grazie al vostro interessamento.
Ringrazio, e saluto ,
....(your name and address and mailto)

If you are someone reply, with someone info, you can write an email to Montemurro Common for request"foglio Storico di famiglia" ..in this paper are all info, but are necessary discover birthdate of Francesco and Cristina ...good luck, suanj
gavin

Post by gavin »

Hi! Suanj,
Thank you for posting a reply so quickly. How do you get this info so fast? The info you have given me is of great help & opens up other areas for me.
Vittoria could be an older brother to my Thomaso. Where in family search did you find this? I have not been able to locate this in my search.
For information, my Thomaso migrated to India. he settled there & married a girl of French/Spanish background. It is said he made a few trips back to Italy from India
You are right, the birth dates of Vincenso & Christina are important & this has been the most difficult part of the search, so the Vittoria lead might just open up this area from his birth or marriage records.
Any further input from you will be greatly appreciated.
By the way I live in Sydney, Australia
Cheers!
Gavin
gavin

Post by gavin »

Sorry Suanj
Not Vincenso but should be Francesco
Gavin
gavin

Post by gavin »

Hi! Suanj,
I don't know if you have read my last post. Please read & can you tell me if you have access to shipping records in Italy that may throw more light on my Thomaso. I have all records of Thomaso's family including right down to my mother.
Cheers!
Gavin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

gavin wrote:Hi! Suanj,
I don't know if you have read my last post. Please read & can you tell me if you have access to shipping records in Italy that may throw more light on my Thomaso. I have all records of Thomaso's family including right down to my mother.
Cheers!
Gavin
Hi Gavin , this Tommaso Libonati found are migrated in USA in 1887, from shipping records in Italy(in Italy are record for emigrated in USA, Brasil, Argentina, not India or others country) , and also if not is your parent, sure are an cousins, why many cousins in Italy are homonymus!
-on Vittoria Maria Libonati (female)record, I've found on familysearch(mormons)..was daughter of Francesco Libonati and Cristina La Spinoza (Lospinoso? I think exact spelling La Spinosa or only Spinoso/a) and married with Giuseppe Maria Mazzilli, marriage about 1867
Gavin: are on Mormons the civil registries of Montemurro http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile
only on this microfilm are possible to know all info, for exemple: on Tommaso record, sure are the age of Francesco and Cristina when Tommaso born, and aproximative birth year of Francesco and Cristina, and paternity of Francesco and Cristina (son/daughter of.. /name father)... and after, to request birth act to Montemurro Common for Francesco and Cristina.... are easy...
you can also to write Archivio di stato di Potenza (province) and request copy of birth registry on Tommaso (as mormons microfilm), for know ages of Tommaso relatives, and also paternity.. with this infos, after, you can reuest on Montemurro common, birth act of Francesco and Cristina...please let me know if you wish this, and I prepare you txt email for Archivio di Stato di Potenza...
suanj
gavin

Post by gavin »

Hi! Suanj,

You are spot on. Thommaso's birth certificate details should give me his parents' dates of birth, so can I take you up on your offer to prepare a txt email for the Archivio di Stato di Potenza for me.

Thank you for your help to date It is greatly appreciated

Cheers!
Gavin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

You are spot on. Thommaso's birth certificate details should give me his parents' dates of birth, so can I take you up on your offer to prepare a txt email for the Archivio di Stato di Potenza for me.

Thank you for your help to date It is greatly appreciated

Cheers!
Gavin
Hi Gavin, the just step are:
-1. email to Archivio di Stato di Potenza (request copy Tommaso's birth act from original birth registry for know age: Francesco & Cristina's age and paternity )
-2. after you receive reply of Archivio, you send a email Montemurro Common, for request birth act Francesco & Cristina( and you know birthdate of Francesco & Cristina and also first name of mother).

Now: send this email to aspz@aspz.web.it (Archive mailto) or also tambledonato@aspz.web.it (Archive's director private mailto) with this txt:

----------------------
Spett.le ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI POTENZA
Via Nazario Sauro, 1
85100 POTENZA (PZ)
Italia

Oggetto: Richiesta fotocopia da registro delle nascite di Libonati Tommaso nato a Montemurro (PZ) il 10 Gennaio 1860, figlio di Francesco e Cristina Lospinoso/a (o La Spinosa o Spinoso/a).

Gent.mo Direttore,
mi chiamo Gavin .... (your surname) e scrivo da Sydney-Australia e sono discendente di Libonati Tommaso nato a Montemurro (PZ) il 10 Gennaio 1860, figlio di Francesco e Cristina Lospinoso/a (o La Spinosa o Spinoso/a).
Con la presente cortesemente richiedo a fini studio quanto in oggetto.

La prego di farmi conoscere quanto è dovuto a codesto spett.le ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI POTENZA relativamente alla fotocopia e suo invio al mio indirizzo sotto indicato.
In attesa di riscontro ai sensi della L.241/90, è gradita l'occasione per porgerLe distinti saluti,

..........(your name)
.........(your complete and exact address)
......your mailto
------------------------------

Hoping an reply from Archivio! for second step are necessary reply of Archivio.. I will help you again ...
regards, suanj
gavin

Post by gavin »

Hi! Suanj,
Email to the Archivio sent. Fingers crossed for a reply.
Thanks again for your help
Cheers!
Gavin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Email to the Archivio sent. Fingers crossed for a reply.
Thanks again for your help
Cheers!
Gavin
Ok Gavin!
suanj :wink:
margherita

Post by margherita »

Dear Gavin, i'm Margherita, from Montemurro (PZ), I've read your message about your Montemurro's origin. I work in a local magazine "dietro le Mura", a magazine of Montemurro and montemurresi in the world. I'd very happy if you contact us, and write the history of your family for thr publication on the magazine.
Answer me please, Margherita.
BarbEhren

Post by BarbEhren »

I just came across this old post. I have not been active in genealogy research in several years, because a new professional position has taken much of my time. However, my son found reference to a famous Italian sculptor named Francesco Libonati, of whom I had not heard, and I started to do some research on the Internet. That's when I came across this post. My grandfather was Tommaso Libonati from Montemurro. He must be your great grandfather because my grandmother's name was Angela and I know they came over to the U.S. with an infant, named Anna who subsequently died. Angela's maiden name was something like Prete and she was from Cirigiano in Matera. So we are probably related, Gavin! My maiden name was Libonette which was a distortion of Libonati which occurred when my father and his 8 brothers and sisters went to Catholic school with the Irish nuns and they anglicized the name - and it stuck. Would love to hear from you