help need from South Africa about Italian passport

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
renatopalmi

help need from South Africa about Italian passport

Post by renatopalmi »

Okay here goes with a question to start my search in the hope of getting an Italian passport.
First: I am from South Africa. I was born in South Africa.
My father is born in Italy came to South Africa as a POW and sayed. He registered as a South African citizen before I was born then a few years ago (without telling anyone) he became once again an Italian citizen. I went to the local consultate in Durban. Not very helpful about me trying to now get a passport because they say the "blood line" was broken due my father being a South African citzen when I was born. However, was told that if I can some how get some birth registration in Italy it would help. is this true and where do I start. No information forthcoming from Italian consultate.
Is there anyother way around this "boken blood line" clause?
If can help would be wonderful.
email: redresssa@webstorm.co.za
Renato Palmi
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: help need from South Africa about Italian passport

Post by ricbru »

Dear Renato,
if the blood line is broken because your dad became south african citizen before you were born, the only way to go over this, is to live 3 years (where to be a legal resident) and after that you can apply in italy or in south africa, and you become an italian citizen.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
mler
Master
Master

Re: help need from South Africa about Italian passport

Post by mler »

Riccardo is right, but there are some possibilities if the dates work out. If your parents were married before 1983, and your father was not naturalized at the time of their marriage, I believe she automatically obtained Italian citizenship through him. You can then claim it through her.

Another possibility occurs if your father reacquired his Italian citizenship when you were still a minor. If he did so, his minor children should have obtained citizenship as well.