Italian American soldiers - 2nd World War

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
seal

Italian American soldiers - 2nd World War

Post by seal »

:?: I am looking for an italian american soldier who was called Albert D'Amandi but am not sure that'a how you spell his surname. Albert was from New York, Drove in a tank regiment, was stationed in Wells Somerset UK before becoming nissing in action at Normandy in 1944/45. My mother tells me he was extremely handsome with the most gorgeous brown eyes !!!!!!!! Hope this helps. Cananyone shed any light on this or anything remotely connected to it which may give me more of an idea. :?: :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian American soldiers - 2nd World War

Post by ptimber »

I tgried as many variations as pissible from the Italian surname dictionary and there are none listed in Italy and even names not in the surname dictionary. The only thing I can suggest is for you to go to www.Nara.ogv and select immigration and then select obtaioning forms and request form 180 for Military service Records ffor world War 1 to the present day!. But you should have a family name a surname that they can check a record for... Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

seal wrote: :?: I am looking for an italian american soldier who was called Albert D'Amandi but am not sure that'a how you spell his surname. Albert was from New York, Drove in a tank regiment, was stationed in Wells Somerset UK before becoming nissing in action at Normandy in 1944/45. My mother tells me he was extremely handsome with the most gorgeous brown eyes !!!!!!!! Hope this helps. Cananyone shed any light on this or anything remotely connected to it which may give me more of an idea. :?: :D
Hi: the exact spelling surname is D'Amanti, tipical of Licata town(Agrigento/Sicily), but small presence in the past also in others italian region.. which express records you demand?
regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Try D' Amante as well as Suanj suggestion of d'amanti. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are about 5 persons in NY state surnamed D'amanti and 15 surnamed D'Amante. if you go to www.infospace.com and look them up and you may wish to write each one and ask them if they know about Albert. Peter
jdipardo

Post by jdipardo »

Name: Albert C Diamanti
Inducted From: New York
Combat Organization: 8th Tank Battalion 4th Armoured Division
Death Date: Sep 14 1944
Monument: Lorraine, France
Last Known Status: Missing
U.S. Awards: Purple Heart Medal
jdipardo

Post by jdipardo »

There are 2 Albert Diamanti in the 1930 census, one born 1917 the other 1924. Do you know Albert's birth date? or any family members? Let me know if you would like either image.

John
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jdipardo wrote:Name: Albert C Diamanti
Inducted From: New York
Combat Organization: 8th Tank Battalion 4th Armoured Division
Death Date: Sep 14 1944
Monument: Lorraine, France
Last Known Status: Missing
U.S. Awards: Purple Heart Medal
John: great!!
suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Good man John. Peter
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

NARA has a searchable database of WWII servicemen. I looked there and also found Albert C Diamanti. He enlisted 3-19-43. At time of enlistment his residence was Westchester, NY. Year of birth is listed as 23, and I think this means 1923.

On the 1930 census there is an Albert Diamanti, (born 1924), residence Bedford, Westchester, NY. Father is Tony Diamanti who arrived in the us in 1912 and is AL (alien, no papers filed as of census date). Based on the into from the NARA site, I think this is the Albert being sought.

John, what was the source of you information? It was great!

Debbie
jdipardo

Post by jdipardo »

Used the caualties of WW2/Korea intered overseas database at ancestry.com. Had a feeling he might be there with what information Seal gave. No age given though thats why I didnt know which Albert in the 1930 census was the correct.

glad it helped some
John
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If his identity is still in doubt he can file FOIA with Army. Its free of charge to relatives and via e-mail. Peter
seal

Post by seal »

I cannot thank everyone enough, I work alot of strange hours and have only just checked this site for responses. I am totally overwhelmed at the compassion of your members. Can't wait to tell mum, she is going to be so thrilled. THANK YOU X :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If there is mor information that you wish from the records please let me know so that I can request the hard copy record in the archives pulled to answer any additional questions. Peter