Gambardella

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Woodworm

Gambardella

Post by Woodworm »

Hi from UK
I am trying to find the death certificate for my g.g.grandafther Spiridione Gambardella who was a portrait painter. He returned to Italy from England and my last trace of him was in Posillipo,Naples in 1869 aged 58. We have emailed the Naples Commune without success. Any ideas how I can get any further?
Thanks everyone
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Gambardella

Post by PeterTimber »

Did you write in Italian and to what address?

I am very surprised since he is well known not only in merry old but also inthe USA (try google.com under spiridone Gambardella Painter) for a few entries indicating that his birth and death as 1842 to 1868.

I would send an e-mail (in english if italian is not known) to STATO CIVILE@COMUNE.NAPOLI.IT

If there is no response then send form letter gleaned from
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
=Peter=
~Peter~
Woodworm

Post by Woodworm »

Thanks for that very speedy response Peter. That was the email address that I used but I did send in English. The link for the Italian form letter seems to have moved. You wouldn't know of another by any chance?

It is nice to know that you have heard of him. He was in Boston in the late 1830s and came to England in 1841. I have recent seen one of his paintings of Panizzi hanging in the British Library board room.

Regards Francis
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Francis,

you probably have but in the case you don't this is a reference to Spiridione I found on Googlebooks:

http://books.google.it/books?id=KdshNLI ... rdella&lr=#

Laura :)
Woodworm

Post by Woodworm »

Thanks Livio that is most helpful - I will give it a try

Regards
Francis
Woodworm

Post by Woodworm »

Thanks Laura
I actually have a copy of that book and most interesting it is too!

Regards
Francis
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

abt the death year it are 2 versions:
Spiridione GAMBARDELLA (c.1810-c.1870)
Gambardella, Spiridione (c.1815-1886);
however also the birthyear is wrong, because by 1841 US passport he was 28 old, so born abt 1812/3:
http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i42492 ... ssport.jpg
so maybe the civil records officer can search around 1886...
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Woodworm sorry for the delay but I mistyped the url for the form letters which Livio kindly corrected for me.

The address to send a form letter if you so choose is: Comune di Napoli 80013,
Ufficio di Stato Civile Il Traversa. Via Dell'Epomeo, Parco Quadrofoglio, Napoli, Italy =Peter=
~Peter~
Woodworm

Post by Woodworm »

Hi Suanj

Thanks for the passport link. I have done a lot of research into my ancestor over the years and I would be interested to know where you got the 1886 date from as my last trace of him was in 1869 in his studio Villa Gatta Paradiselo , Posillipo near Naples from the Knapp Diaries of a US family doing the grand tour of Europe.

Regrads
Francis
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found the 1886 death date( probable) here http://www.thepcf.org.uk/media/PCF_Arti ... l_I-XX.pdf
http://www.europicture.de/faq.php/topic ... turers_all
and in some other.... obviously the 1886 could be no correct... but I believe that Spiridione no died in 1869 or so, otherwise the officer would have found the death record... It is very strange that it are not a complete biography of Spiridione; also in famous art's websites ... I found that they having only the probable birthyear... currently is no available a website of old newspapers; but next days I believe will be ok; I wish to search... maybe it could be a new abt Spiridione death; the USA was the first country of emigration.... and maybe it is possible to find some other info..
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The formatted postal address for the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Napoli is:

Comune di Napoli
Servizio Centrale Civile
Ufficio Corrispondenza Valori
II traversa privata, Parco Quadrifoglio
80126 Napoli
Italy

see: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pag ... agina/1343

they expect that you enclose an envelope with your address and stamps.
jpapad

Post by jpapad »

You might know some of this, but Parliamentary Papers strongly suggest that Spiridione Gambardella, a native of Corfu, was naturalized in 1846 (under the UK's 1844 nationality act). His name is given as Spiridione Gambaradelli but this is surely a mistake - the name does not seem to exist. I think he was the first person born on current Greek territory to be so naturalized,although others will have done so previously by Private Bill. Although he was known to the Carlyles who also knew some other Corfiots (the Diberoglues) he always seems to have been regarded as Italian. Can you confirm this? I assume that Dion S Gambardella was his son although I have only been able to find (through newspaper archives) references to another son who died very young. I can, of course, let you know more if you are interested.
Woodworm

Post by Woodworm »

Thanks jpapad
I did know he was born in Corfu although not whereabouts or exact date but I am not familiar with the Parliamentary Papers you mention - perhaps you could give me some guidance. He was also a naturalised american.
The S in the son's name is Smith - also the surname of the widow that Spiridione was living with at the time according to the UK census of 1851 & 61 so we draw our own conculsions there!
The Carlyle papers are such an interesting source and he is mention frequently and seems to have been quite a character.
According to the Knapp Diaries he had another son Jack aged 7 in 1869 when he returned to Naples.

Regards
Francis
jpapad

Post by jpapad »

Francis
Not sure I can help you re Corfu details as I have found nothing on Greek sites. MIght have transliterated wrongly though. My source is 1854(217) Aliens. Return of the number of aliens naturalised under the prvisions of the act 7&8 Vict. c. 66, specifying the name and description of each alien, with the date of his naturalisation, from the passing of the foresaid act to the present time (House of Commons Parliamentary Papers Online). You might need an Athens Login to get these for free. Oddly there seems to be nothing in the National Archives - the actual papers should be there and MIGHT be revelatory.
Son James Tomkins who died 18/2/1847 (Observer) suggests another mother.
BTW the Corfiots I was referring to were actually Dilberoglue. Don't know much about their origins either!
JPapad