what doc. do you think we will need,2 different consulates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

what doc. do you think we will need,2 different consulates

Post by JMFL »

Good evening,

My mom and I got our Italian Citizenship recognized in 2008. We got our passports in January 2009. (All through the Miami Consulate).

My sister's two daughters are both in their 20's and they wish to have their citizenshihp recognized. Their mom will have to wait a few years, when she retires as it would cause a conflict with her job to get dual citizenship at this time. (High level US government work).

They will be applyng at the Italian Embassy as they live in that jurisdiction.

They will apply through them-> their mom, (my sister), -> their grandmother, (my mom who had her Itaian Citizenship recognized thru the Miami Consulate).

I know that my neices will need to have their US birth certificates (A & T)
They will also need my sisters US birth and US marriage certificates

But, what will they need to show the Italian link via my mom,(who is their grandmother)? Will a photocopy of my mom's passport do?

I have emailed the Italian Embassy about this but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. JM
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: what doc. do you think we will need,2 different consulat

Post by VaDeb »

JM,

If your sister has a security clearance she has to report her mother is an (dual) Italian citizen and will also have to report her daughters. There is a form she has to complete that lists parents, siblings and children with their citizenship. This can become a MAJOR issue for her, even though she is a USA citizen. Suggest she asks some questions of her facility security officer before going any further. Depending on the agency and her clearance level there may already be a problem.

Debbie
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Re: what doc. do you think we will need,2 different consulat

Post by JMFL »

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your response. I have passed the information along to my sister. We'll see what she is able to find out.

JM