need information about a Giovanni Morone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by vj »

bellini wrote:I do have a question about the marriage certificate just for clarity before I send the request in--is the certificate number 1905 (1902)? I believe this is it but I want to make sure before I send.

Thanks! :D
Yes it's '1905 (1902)'
If you're going to use it for dual citizenship purposes, check with your consulate on exactly what you'll be needing (certified, etc?)
:D
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by vj »

bellini wrote: He was naturalized on March 8, 1921 at 47 years of age...
His naturalization paperwork will have his exact birth date, his birth location and the date/ship he arrived on.

from ancestry. com

New York County Supreme Court Naturalization Petition Index, 1907-24

This is the information on his index card:
Name: John Morone
Address: 320 E. 59 St.
Date: 8 Mar 1921
Volume #: 471 Page #: 82
(no need to scan the certificate)

If needed, you can order his paperwork from the US govt or the County Clerk
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by vj »

possible 1910 census

Home in April 1910:
324 East 59th, rents
Manhattan Ward 19, New York, New York

head John Moroni 36, abt 1874 IT
- married once, 8 yrs, abt 1902
- immig 1890(?), Al
wife Fannie Moroni 30, abt 1880 IT
- 4 children
- immig (?)
daughter Mary Moroni 7, abt 1903 NY
daughter Rosie Moroni 6, abt 1904 NY
daughter Rigent Moroni 4, abt 1906 NY
son Rominigus Moroni 1 2/12, abt 1909 NY

(transcription of names from ancestry. com)
User avatar
bellini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 08 Nov 2009, 22:57
Location: los angeles

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by bellini »

I'm thinking that Rigent is Henrietta and Rominigus (could that be Dominigus? it's difficult to read on the census) is Dominic? The address is certainly correct.

Does the fact that he immigrated in 1890 mean that he did not come through Ellis Island? I have read that Ellis Island opened in 1892.

The certificate I have does not show his date of birth, the ship he came on, or his birth location. I'm not sure why this would be. If I order the paperwork from the government, I wonder if they would send me the same information or different.

Also, does this mean we should perhaps be looking for a Giovanni Moroni as opposed to Morone?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I feel very confused! :D
User avatar
bellini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 08 Nov 2009, 22:57
Location: los angeles

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by bellini »

I found some information at castlegarden.org which may help? I'm digging up some things which seem to fit, but I'm not sure.

Giovanni Morone

Came over on the Archimede, arrived May 24, 1899?
origin Italy, port Naples
destination NYC.
User avatar
bellini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 08 Nov 2009, 22:57
Location: los angeles

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by bellini »

We think we have found him! It seems that he did come over through Castle Garden and not Ellis Island. The ship is the Archimede.

He's on line 24--can anyone make out the name of his last residence? And would this be the comune?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamsterbal ... 7/sizes/o/

Thanks so very much to vj, misbris and this fabulous site! :D
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by misbris »

You are very welcome. Glad we could help. :lol:
Town may be Guardia Sanframondi in the province of Benevento.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/062/037/index.html
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by vj »

bellini wrote:We think we have found him! It seems that he did come over through Castle Garden and not Ellis Island. The ship is the Archimede.
He's on line 24--can anyone make out the name of his last residence? And would this be the comune?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamsterbal ... 7/sizes/o/
Congratulations it looks like a great possibility :D .
Last permanent residence:
comune of Guardia Sanframondi, province of Benevento, Campania
(I agree with mj :wink: )

headed to Hackensack NJ to join his cousin Salvatore Garafalo
User avatar
bellini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 08 Nov 2009, 22:57
Location: los angeles

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by bellini »

Thanks to you both so very much! Now that we have all the information we will send away for the proper certificates from NYC and then begin speaking with the consulate here in LA to find out what our next steps should be.

:D
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by vj »

bellini wrote:I'm thinking that Rigent is Henrietta and Rominigus (could that be Dominigus? it's difficult to read on the census) is Dominic? The address is certainly correct.

I agree!
---

The certificate I have does not show his date of birth, the ship he came on, or his birth location. I'm not sure why this would be. If I order the paperwork from the government, I wonder if they would send me the same information or different.

His naturalization paperwork consists of his Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalization, Certificate of Arrival (if there is one) and Oath of Allegiance

paperwork help from about.com:

http://genealogy.about.com/cs/naturaliz ... ecords.htm
---

Also, does this mean we should perhaps be looking for a Giovanni Moroni as opposed to Morone?

It's possible that his name was 'americanized'
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by vj »

possible 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card

John Marone 45
320 East 59th Street
born 4 Apr 1873
non-declarant born in Italy
laborer for Allman (?) Picture Frame Co at 338 East 58th Street
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by misbris »

Here is the breakdown for the # of people in Guardia withe the name Morone.

84.16
Guardia Sanframondi Benevento
Morone
User avatar
bellini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 08 Nov 2009, 22:57
Location: los angeles

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by bellini »

misbris wrote:Here is the breakdown for the # of people in Guardia withe the name Morone.

84.16
Guardia Sanframondi Benevento
Morone
misbris--is this now, or would this have been at the time of immigration? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I'm very new to all this. Thank you!
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by misbris »

This is now, here is the website I used.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

But historically, the spelling of the name would have remained the same in the town of origin. Changes might be mistransscription on a ship's manifest and/or misspelling on census records, as well as "Americanization" of the name by the immigrant or his family.

No questions are stupid. you are learning. The more questions you ask, the more you will find out. :wink:
User avatar
hudsterboy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 16:41

Re: need information about a Giovanni Morone

Post by hudsterboy »

I am holding in my hand right now, a raised seal copy of my great grandparent's marriage certificate. I want to thank all of the wonderful people here for the help they gave to my wife. We are now well on our way to filling in all the blanks of my family history, and ultimately obtaining our Italian passports. Thank you all SO much!
Post Reply