NATURALIZATION PAPERS--HELP!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

NATURALIZATION PAPERS--HELP!

Post by cdevita »

Finished all the "trackdown work" and found birth certificates, death certificates, Marriage certificates and waiting for them to return to start the translation and Apostille section of the journey.

My Great Grandfather Antonio DeVita (somewhat common name) was a laborer and I believe he never naturalized although I did find some evidence that an Antonio DeVita did make a "declaration" (on 1911 Dec Vol 36 Page 300) BUT I do not know what to do with this information to check if this is him or not?

If he made the Declaration, how do I know if he finished the process? Would he have had to in order to actually be naturalized? He arrived with his wife, Carmela Quaranta, and two children (one of which did naturalize) in July of 1906. According to what I have read, the record keeping changed in Set. of that same year!

My grandfater was born in May of 1912 so I feel as though I can't stop my quest for dual citizenship because everything is just too close to the wire!

Been on the NARA site-too overwhelming for me...I am either looking for some sort of indication that he did naturalize OR instruction on how to obtain a "Statement of No Records"....anybody?
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NATURALIZATION PAPERS--HELP!

Post by jwazevedo »

Start by contacting your local NARA office (National Archives). They can get you a response pretty quickly, but they only have records for naturalizations in US District Courts. If your GGF naturalized in a state court, then try to contact the county court where he lived. If you can take a look at the census records for your GGF, they typically show a person's immigration status and, in some years, recorded what year the person naturalized. The census records aren’t valid proof, but they can point you in the right direction.

If your search at NARA and the county court comes up empty, begin the process of filing a index search request with USCIS, which you can do here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD. The search will take approximately 3 months. If USCIS finds a file on your GGF, they will send you a file number and you can then submit a record copy request, which takes another 3 months or so. Otherwise, you'll get a no record letter.

To prove no naturalization as part of a citizenship application, you'll generally need “no recordâ€
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

Thank you! That helps!
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

I have the NARA letter regarding no records found and I am waiting for the USCIS letter, but this is the first I am hearing of a county court record search? Is this really needed?

Have our appointments set for 7/10 in NYC, hopefully we have all the records by then :?
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

what year was the nationalization and where was it?
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

My paternal grandfather never became a citizen.

For that matter, none of my grandparents became US Citizens, they were all born in Italy & died as Italian Citizens in the USA between 1949 and 1977.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

In thinking about it, I believe USCIS should have a copy of all naturalization records, so if they say there's no record, that should be enough. But I didn't have to go that route (my grandfather did naturalize), so I'll defer to others who've taken their 'no record' papers to a consulate.

Jerry
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

Here is what I received:

New York State Archives holds only a few hundred naturalization documents, all performed by higher state courts operating before 1847 and so we can not help you.

Naturalization records are filed in the state or federal court where the naturalization proceedings occur. Under federal law, naturalization proceedings may occur either in a state court or a federal court. If the person was naturalized in a state court, the naturalization record would be held by the principal civil court in the county where the proceeding occurred. If the person was naturalized in a federal court, the record would be held by a regional branch of the National Archives.

Older federal court naturalizations from NY state and city (copies of state and federal naturalization orders for the present 5 boroughs of NYC starting 1792) are at the National Archives--Northeast Region, 201 Varick St., 12th floor, New York, NY 10014; toll-free phone no. 866-840-1752; Email: newyork.archives@nara.gov.

State court naturalization records remain in the custody of the sixty-two (62) county clerks in NY. For an online directory of county clerks' offices, visit the NYS Department of State website: http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lists/coclerks.html

New York State Archives
Reference Services
11A36 Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230
518/474-8955
archref@mail.nysed.gov
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

At the time of naturalization, my paternal grandfather was living in Mamaroneck, NY and my maternal grandfather was in Harrison, NY - both are in Westchester County.

They both naturalized in "The Supreme Court of the State of New York at White Plains" and I obtained certified copies (quickly, I might add!) of their naturalization documents from the Westchester County Archives.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Just a reminder

USCIS only has naturalization records that occured after 1906 (I believe it is September 1906). This is why there may be a requirement to get no record letters from courts.

Debbie
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi Folks - I am a little confused. If I have a letter from NARA and the USCIS Certification of No Record of Naturalization found. do I still need to contact the county courts to get proof from them that my ancestor did not naturalize?

Since my ancesotr did not even arrive until 1908, I am not sure if I need the county court.

Thanks,
Sophia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

cdevita wrote:Finished all the "trackdown work" and found birth certificates, death certificates, Marriage certificates and waiting for them to return to start the translation and Apostille section of the journey.

My Great Grandfather Antonio DeVita (somewhat common name) was a laborer and I believe he never naturalized although I did find some evidence that an Antonio DeVita did make a "declaration" (on 1911 Dec Vol 36 Page 300) BUT I do not know what to do with this information to check if this is him or not?

If he made the Declaration, how do I know if he finished the process? Would he have had to in order to actually be naturalized? He arrived with his wife, Carmela Quaranta, and two children (one of which did naturalize) in July of 1906. According to what I have read, the record keeping changed in Set. of that same year!

My grandfater was born in May of 1912 so I feel as though I can't stop my quest for dual citizenship because everything is just too close to the wire!

Been on the NARA site-too overwhelming for me...I am either looking for some sort of indication that he did naturalize OR instruction on how to obtain a "Statement of No Records"....anybody?
hi, maybe you already have this record,
but on this ship's manifest of Antonio De Vito ( DE VITA) born abt 1866, coming from Montemesola, wife Carmela in Brooklyn, NY, sister Celilia De Vita in Montemesola, well, it are some markings ( of 1926) on the ship's manifest maybe can help:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Antonio De Vito
Name: Antonio De Vito
Arrival Date: 13 May 1924
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Patria
Search Ship Database: View the Patria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
NATIVITY: Italy
Line: 30
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_3486
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: montenosola
Page Number: 31

pag 1 http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i44079 ... evita1.jpg

pag 2 http://s6.imagestime.com/out.php/i44079 ... evita2.jpg
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

taxi55 wrote: Since my ancesotr did not even arrive until 1908, I am not sure if I need the county court.
One would think not, but only your consulate knows for sure. Evidence of non-naturalization seems to be one of the gray areas where the various consulates differ substantially in their requirements.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

johnnyonthespot
One would think not, but only your consulate knows for sure. Evidence of non-naturalization seems to be one of the gray areas where the various consulates differ substantially in their requirements.
Good idea! Anyone out there know if the New York Consulate requires a county court search in addition to the NARA and USCIS?

Thanks,
Sophia
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I've been working on my duel cititzenship for italy for a bit.
I am going though my father who never became an american citizen nor did he live in the states. he still lives in Italy. but i live in the states.

i went to the consolate in Los Angeles with all my papers and his. They said that i am a citizen with italy since i have never renounced my citizenship with Italy. But then he says i need those documents from USCIS, NARA and the court house....

so my question is why do i need that? if my father never lived in the states or left Italy, why do i need to prove that? Especially when the Italian consolite already says Im a citizen?

Is there a way i can bypass the "no records" part of this?

any idea's or has anyone gone through this?

I've been dealing with the USCIS on what i need but they keep giving me to run around on how to get "no records documentation" on someone who has never lived here.

thanks