Unresponsive commune

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maurinini

Unresponsive commune

Post by maurinini »

Over a year ago I sent an email to the commune where my grandfather was born inquiring if there was a birth record for him. I got a response just a few days later saying they couldn't find him in the record. So I went and did my own research and after some digging, I was able to find him. His birth record is rather complicated. Details here: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... inini.html

With my new information, I decided to email the commune again (since they were responsive the first time) with a very nicely written email in Italian explaining exactly what I was looking for. Well, this time absolutely no response. Not even a "we got the email". This was back in July. I sent it again in August. Still nothing. So I assume I should probably write them a letter.

Any advice? My grandfather's birth record is so complicated I feel like hiring someone to hand hold this thing might be the best. But seems expensive. My appointment with the San Francisco consulate is in April...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Unresponsive commune

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Which comune? Or, at the least, which province?

Personally, I always suggest mailing a proper and formal letter. Italian bureaucrats think very highly of themselves and you can never go wrong by extending them the full amount of respect they so richly deserve. :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maurinini wrote:Over a year ago I sent an email to the commune where my grandfather was born inquiring if there was a birth record for him. I got a response just a few days later saying they couldn't find him in the record. So I went and did my own research and after some digging, I was able to find him. His birth record is rather complicated. Details here: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... inini.html

With my new information, I decided to email the commune again (since they were responsive the first time) with a very nicely written email in Italian explaining exactly what I was looking for. Well, this time absolutely no response. Not even a "we got the email". This was back in July. I sent it again in August. Still nothing. So I assume I should probably write them a letter.

Any advice? My grandfather's birth record is so complicated I feel like hiring someone to hand hold this thing might be the best. But seems expensive. My appointment with the San Francisco consulate is in April...
Hi, it is a normal error, because they cannot find the birth record searching in normal birth registry; please explaining that your ancestor was a foundling in the birthact, so the officer must search in "Atti Diversi" registry of 1912... hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maurinini

Post by maurinini »

The commune is Bagni di Lucca. I will try sending a letter with a specific request to look in the Atti Diversi.

Thank you!
mikenhm

Post by mikenhm »

Be sure to include as much relevant information as you can. I had emailed the comune of my grandmother and I found later that the clerk hadn't responded because he need to do a manual search due to inadequate info and a duplicate name. Thus I ended up in the to-be-researched pile. When I gave a great-grandmother's maiden name, he responded quickly.

If you have not resolved this by next spring, I could drop by there for you. We visit annually just up the coast.
maurinini

Post by maurinini »

How much information is too much? His birth record is complicated, and trying to explain it all might be overwhelming. Then again, perhaps if I was more specific, I could have helped move it along faster.

In my original email I indicated that he was illegitimate. Gave his date of birth, his mother's name, his father's name, and the date when each of them officially recognized him. But I did not go as far as specifying the exact page numbers or record numbers for his two entries. I have all that. Even pdfs of the scans I saved from my research of the LDS microfilms.

So would it be smart to include all that? Or could it be taken as arrogant and presumptuous?
mikenhm

Post by mikenhm »

I checked the two birth certificates I've gotten and you have it covered. The only thing additional might be the location name (frazione) if you have anything different or in addition to the comune name. Good luck with it.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

I have a question-I have sent two requests to the birth and marriage records office in Montemesola and it has been over 1 month with no response. I have typed out a letter in Italian with my request with names of my GGF and GGM (maiden name) along with approx. birth dates and location of their marriage. I am also sending this with approx. $10 in IRC's. Do I need to to send them any copies of any birth certificates, etc. of my grandfather or show any lineage along with the letter of request and IRC's?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maurinini wrote:How much information is too much? His birth record is complicated, and trying to explain it all might be overwhelming. Then again, perhaps if I was more specific, I could have helped move it along faster.

In my original email I indicated that he was illegitimate. Gave his date of birth, his mother's name, his father's name, and the date when each of them officially recognized him. But I did not go as far as specifying the exact page numbers or record numbers for his two entries. I have all that. Even pdfs of the scans I saved from my research of the LDS microfilms.

So would it be smart to include all that? Or could it be taken as arrogant and presumptuous?
Maurinini,
if you can post the image of Mario birth ( LDS), I can prepare you the right letter in italian language, and you will send it to civil records and to Major of Bagni di Lucca...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mikenhm

Post by mikenhm »

cdevita wrote:I have a question-I have sent two requests to the birth and marriage records office in Montemesola and it has been over 1 month with no response. I have typed out a letter in Italian with my request with names of my GGF and GGM (maiden name) along with approx. birth dates and location of their marriage. I am also sending this with approx. $10 in IRC's. Do I need to to send them any copies of any birth certificates, etc. of my grandfather or show any lineage along with the letter of request and IRC's?
Cdevita, No need to prove your relationship. When I got my two birth certificates in person there were no questions about my relationship.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

thank you!!