Need help finding information about my great grandma

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Need help finding information about my great grandma

Post by SChiarini »

Hi,

I seemed to have hit a brick wall when trying to find a birth certificate for my Great Grandma! It seems that no one in my family knows exactly where she was born , they *think* it is Bari, where my great grandfather was also born, however no one is 100% sure.

I have looked all over - ancestry.com, footnote.com, ellisisland.org, and even castle garden's website. I have come up with nothing! Her death certificate only states that she is from Italy. I have her Naturalization papers - however that does not show what town in Italy she is born in.

I also wrote to two communes in Bari to search for a birth certificate but I have not received a response yet.

Her name is Angelina (Lena/Angeline/Angela) Ferrante. She lived in Brooklyn, NY. Her birthday is Nov 11, 1889. I'm not sure what year she came over here either...

If anyone knows another way to search I would appreciate it very much!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Need help finding information about my great grandma

Post by PeterTimber »

Please cancel this second inquiry whichis the same as the first so that we are leftwith the original...Click on delete. =Peter=
~Peter~
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

It will not allow me to delete this post. I apologize
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

It will not allow me to delete this post. I apologize
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I see that bu tno problem really just get the information or if you have an old letter or photograph post card soimetimes the date stamp form the Italy postcard will show up oron an envelope or even a saints card from the town with a prayer has the name of the town. =Peter=
~Peter~
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

I'm not sure if you have access to ancestry.com- I just posted a new thread about this - I found their census records that MIGHT list the place she came from - however I cannot access it - I signed up in sept. but didn't find the information I needed back then so I cancelled my subscription.

If you do, would you mind sending me the information in the 1930 census?

Name : Francesco Proscia
Spouses Name: Angelina Ferrante -- Her name comes up as "Lema" though - guess they meant to put Lena
Address: 1619 79th Street, Brooklyn NY
Kings County -- Eastern District
Birthdate- Sept 6, 1889

Much appreciated!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Hi all,

I actually FOUND where my GGM was born!!! It was in Toritto, Italy. I found it on her naturalization papers. However, I think I also found out that I may NOT actually qualify for dual citizenship anymore :'(

My GGF was never naturalized and died shortly after he had my grandmother. MY GGM applied for her citizenship & she was naturalized- on her declaration of intention papers- she lists all her children- including my grandmother-- so I'm assuming that my grandmother was naturalized along with my GGM - therefore renouncing her citizenship?? I'm praying it isn't so.....
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

your grandmother, when born, had italian citizenship by father; but after your GGmother renounced it and also ditto for children, so I believe that you are no elegible.... sorry...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
just for reference, some records are on this post
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 14507.html
- all children listed on the 1933 Petition for Naturalization were born in Brooklyn