muschi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

muschi

Post by jolynn »

hello all, i have come across a name on the 1911 census called antonio muschi. his age was given as 80 and occupation organ grinder. his place of birth italy and he was at the time living in grimsby lincs, england. his birth date would have been 1831. can anyone tell me if this name could be right as there were a lot of spelling mistakes on the census? any other info. would be appriciated. regards, john
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: muschi

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jolynn wrote:hello all, i have come across a name on the 1911 census called antonio muschi. his age was given as 80 and occupation organ grinder. his place of birth italy and he was at the time living in grimsby lincs, england. his birth date would have been 1831. can anyone tell me if this name could be right as there were a lot of spelling mistakes on the census? any other info. would be appriciated. regards, john
For many years, we had a family friend whose surname was Meucci. Phonetically, I could see how Meucci could be mis-spelled as Muschi.

By the way, there seems to be a general consensus that the telephone was truly invented by one Antonio Meucci, not Alexander Graham Bell as is widely believed. See this Wikipedia entry for more info.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

thankyou for that. i am trying to find out were he died and when. i guess being 80 he may have died in england but am not sure. any further help would be appriciated. regards, john
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jolynn wrote:thankyou for that. i am trying to find out were he died and when. i guess being 80 he may have died in england but am not sure. any further help would be appriciated. regards, john
I see also that the name Muschio (with the added "o") appears in small numbers in both northern and southern modern Italy.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

thanks again for that. i,ll try putting that name into the bmd list. regards, john
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jolynn wrote:hello all, i have come across a name on the 1911 census called antonio muschi. his age was given as 80 and occupation organ grinder. his place of birth italy and he was at the time living in grimsby lincs, england. his birth date would have been 1831. can anyone tell me if this name could be right as there were a lot of spelling mistakes on the census? any other info. would be appriciated. regards, john
the surname is right and is a surname of Ticino Canton, Switzerland(italian language area)
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hi suanj, this man was 80 and listed as a organ grinder. i ca not find a death notice for him on our listings. he may have gone back home but at 80 that might have been difficult. i would love to be able to find out. he was a boarder at my great grandma, rosa dinallo,s guest house. kind regards, john
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi john,
and yes... I read the 1911 census... the name is correct.... I searched but I no found it in 1901 census... and no before... maybe a more deep search can give some result....
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

thanks suanj, yes he was a boarder at my great grandmothers house in grimsby. they spelt her name wrong. it was the right house but as she could not read or write english they would have written down what she said and that is why i wondered if antonio,s name was right or wrong. kind regards, john